223 I6 to a C4 or AOD

Hi, this is my first post,

I just bought a 1958 Ford Meteor (it's basically a Canadian Custom 300) with a 223 I6 & 3 on the tree. I bought it for my dad & since he's only got one arm I guess I'm going to have to swap it over to an automatic. The more I look into it the more it comes down to 2 options;

1. Bolt on an AOD with an adapter kit from Bendtsen's.
2. Run a C4 with a bellhousing from the one year only (1964) 223 I6 to C4 powertrain combo.

-Theese seem to be the best options as I'm not interested in the primative Ford-o-matic, or the bulky c6.

I'm an Old's guy so I'm not really sure about Ford specific things like this so I thought I'd get some opinions from you guys.

If you've got an opinion about which trans I should run let me know (I'm leaning twards the C4),
I could also use some help tracking down a 1964 bellhousing that'll fit the C4 up to the 223, or something aftermarket that'll do the same thing.

Thanks for your help,
-Nate.

1. Bolt on an AOD with an adapter kit from Bendtsen's.
2. Run a C4 with a bellhousing from the one year only (1964) 223 I6 to C4 powertrain combo.

1. Is a very nice setup though costly if you were using as your only transportation and keeping for a long time it might be worth it.

2. Never seen a factory C4 223 bell and have to wonder if they were actually made. Even if they were chances would be quite slim to find one now. The C4 would be a good combo, You can get a new adapter kit though for a C4 to 223 here
http://www.ford-y-block.com/c4adapt.htm

3. One other option is a hi-bread combo of Ford parts, uses the Ford O Matic bell, flex plate, T.C. and starter, than a late 1967 up (Select Shift) Cruse O Matic or FMX trans these shift about like a late 67 up C4 and better than a 64 to 66 unit. It will all bolt in with very little work using stock Ford parts. Good luck

Thanks for the reply,

You've got a good point about the 223 to C4 bell, I'm not 100% sure it was ever made either. My digging through the internet has suggested that it was used on 1964 Galixie taxis and cop cars...but who really knows?... Rockauto also lists C4 stuff for the 1964 223ci but once again its only internet info & impossible to verify.

Your 3rd option is interesting, I'll look into the FMX a little more, I didn't consider it as I figured it was a dumb cousin to the C4, but if it's all bolt on then it's worth looking into.

-Also thanks for the link to the C4 adapter kit.

Cheers,
-Nate.

Back