Rookie mistake

vntgtrk

:banghead: OK so I buggered up the end of my crank (DON'T GO THERE!!). :shock:
I didn't put the cone on the end of my puller and messed up the threads on my 223 crank when removing the crank pulley. I know it's a 1/2", but what is the thread pitch? I have a 20 and a 24 and it ain't either one of them. Does a 22 TPI tap exist? All I have to do is chase the threads, it didn't totally mess up!
Where can I get what I need? Thanx

Its been a while and there isn,t one at hand but that thread may be a 9/16th inch NF thread. Check the bolt that came out. Could even be 5/8th inch NF thread.

When pulling the pulley, it is best to thread the correct bolt well into the snout and then press against the bolt head with the puller. That protects the thread.

Sometimes a tap is not the best way to fix a buggered up thread as the first thread or two are pressed inward and do not position the tap correctly. The first thread or two can be removed with a small grinder and then use the tap.

You could also try a thread file to clean the threads out.

Are you 100% sure its not 20 TPI?? not to sound like a smart donkey, but have you checked the threads on the Dampner bolt that he;d it to the crank?

Belive Me we have all made mistakes like this, it just human nature.

Thread files are for external threads only. Hard to get them into those little holes and lined up with the threads.

Best to measure the thread count on the bolt that came out of the end of the crank.

flatford6":173wjyri said:
Thread files are for external threads only. Hard to get them into those little holes and lined up with the threads.

Best to measure the thread count on the bolt that came out of the end of the crank.
I found some milky oil on the cylinder walls. While I didn't see any cracks, better safe than sorry. So off to the machine shop for maggot flux. I'm having them hot tank it, put a good cross hatch on the bores, polish my crank journals and chase them threads. I'm already this far, might as well make sure it's gonna be worth an overhaul. the engine is really clean inside, like it's had recent service. No oblong or taper out of spec.

So I took the block and the crank to a local machine shop. I also had them knurl the piston skirts and surface my flywheel. They checked the bores for oblong and taper, maggot fluxed the block, cleaned the thing all up, polished my crank, checked the journals, and checked the deck for true. And yes they cleaned up my fooked threads. Even painted it stock black. Overall they did one heck of a job and charged me just south of 220 clams. Money well spent IMO.
Forgot to mention they left a nice cross hatch on my cylinder bores.

Back