50-226 Flathead Six Build

Scuzzy

Just bought a 50 226 to build for my 47 n got a 2 single Edmunds Intake for it and have 2 Exsaust Manifolds to Build my Exsaust but need to know if there is a Place that still builds them or if I need to try to Weld them together myself? Hate to Ruin them not knowing what I am doing! I allso need to know how far I can Bore my 226-out of a 50 Cupe n if it is worth Boring or a waste of $? I allso would like to find a Aluminam Head-Sorry for the Spelling-Hope for some Direction! I am planing to put a 9 inch n a later OverDrive tranny-got a SHROD but will go with what ever is Best, Thanks, Scuzzy

You should check to see what sizes of pistons are made unless you are going custom but to answer your question many older blocks could go to .125. good idea keep cylinders walls thicker (engine cools better) Ie if the block will clean up at .060 to .080. Below are a couple places you can find some parts and headers. I did a post about welding cast iron awhile back that give the basics last link it's near the bottom. Good luck on the flathead six

http://www.egge.com/

http://reds-headers.net/index.php?main_ ... b5a50c4247

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=50519

Thanks Bubba, As U can see I am a Novice on these Computers but Aprechieate all the Help! Have a Great Day! Scuzzy

If the block is over bored more than about .100 inch, the head gasket will hang over into the bores and cause a hot spot when the engine is running, especially under a heavy load. The large piston could possibly hit the gasket at the top of its travel. The truck 254 inch head gasket with larger bores will physically fit on the block but the water holes do not line up well and part of the bead gasket around the combustion chamber will not seal right. No large bore gaskets are available as far as I know. Better to limit boring to .060 inch and use readily available pistons of this cost and avoid the high cost of custom size pistons.

I bought all of my rebuild parts for my 226 from Kanter Auto Parts. Everything was old stock in original boxes, no import crap. Mine is .060" over with one sleeve. I've driven it about 30,000 miles since overhaul. It has a Nicson 2 x 1 intake and a Knudsen aluminum head. I bought both of them before prices went crazy. The parts are out there but be prepared to pay big for them. I built my own split manifold and had my stock cam reground to an Isky 400 jr. grind.

Scuzzy agin, I found n Bought a Intake-Edmunds 2-Singles, I got 2 Exsaust Manifolds-the Corect ones to Weld together but dont know where to have them done or if I should try to do it myself or Buy Reds Header-Motor is for my 47 Tudor n Reds tells me the Header is for 49 n newer so not shure if it will work or not, I need a Head-if I cant find one can I Mill the Stocker for Buste in Compreshion n if so How Far? No Hurry here, the 47 has the original 226 with only 53,000 on it n it Runs like a Top so I am Driving it while I Build my Motor witch is a 50 226H, Thanks Scuzz

Back