223 water pump binding

vntgtrk

So I'm putting my 223 back together and the water pump binds on the #1 cylinder wall when I tighten up the bolts. Do I have the wrong pump? I can get part # if needed, Thnx

I think the pumps are the same for all years, but they had a few company's that rebuild them. You might take measurements from flange to impeller and compare to another one might not be assembled correctly. Are you using a gasket? Then You could ad another one to give it more clearance if its close.

I am using a gasket. I'll have to round up another water pump to do measurements.
while looking for one, I noticed a different # for '56-'56 and '57-'60. Mine is a '59 (I think) so I ordered the one with the 2nd #. That means I'll have a total of 3 gaskets to use. The Felpro gasket kit has 2 real thin ones.

I have always used a thick gasket that was what was standard. I have a fresh NAPA rebuilt to install on my 54 one of these days. I could maybe measure it are you working on a car or truck?

Still think that all the pumps where same but my old catalogs are packed away in storage. The pump that I have for the 54 is NAPA #58-199 (A1 Cardone rebuilt under the label), it has a pump casting number of C3TE8505-B this shows it was made by Ford originally for use on a late 1963 or a 1964 truck (1964 was end of production for the 223). Measures 13/16 inch from flange to end of impeller, regular gasket is about 1/32 inch thick, this rebuilt also matches the one that is used on my 54. If your pump has the same bolt on pulley, then for a pickup from 1954 to 59 it would also use the same rebuilt pump Part Number. I don't remember seeing any water pumps that weren't the bolt on pulley type. You might also check to see that the water mounting into the block is clean and free of any heavy chucks of rust if it's been sitting a long time.

I have no idea how long it's been sitting, but I took the engine apart and had it cleaned and maggotfluxed by my machine shop.
The # on my w/pump b6c-8501-c. I think I'll double up on gaskets when I get the new one if there's a clearance concern. I'm doing a complete rebuild, so it's best to replace the w/pump anyhow. I had to also put in a '64 oil pump to mate with the Duraspark dist. I saw a price for a new dist @ O'reilly for $80.99. Can't see using an old one at that price.
BTW thanks a bunch for your help. I'll be doing some pics in the spring when I can get back to building this old dawg

but I took the engine apart and had it cleaned and maggotfluxed by my machine shop.

OK then it's for sure clean enough.

The # on my w/pump b6c-8501-c.

The B6C is a clue of origin of that pump it was first designed for a 1956 car engine the -C tells us that its the 3rd redesign. So a fair guess is that part would have be used on late 1957 to early 1959 model years, of course no telling how many times the W / P was changed out during the engine's years of use. It should be exactly like the pump I have too. Depending on what the build date of your truck is (from the door tag info) if you were wanting to do a period correct restoration the pump casting could be right for an early 1959 build date. Would need to do some checking in my books but on a later 1959 build date it may have had a B9C-8505 or B9TE-8505 casting. Functionally it dose not matter on the casting number, they will all do the job. Good luck on the rebuild will be interested in seeing the pic's of your build.

I'm beginning to think this w/pump is just old and tired. Could be it was rusted on the flange and someone sand blasted and scraped too much material off. I'm not looking to a period correct restore. I just want a cool, reliable driver.

I don't know if this will be any help, but here it is. A NAPA Rebuilt pump #58199 applies to all 215s and 223s from '53 through '64.
The unit I have measures .688" from the mounting flange to the back of the impeller.

ChuckinNH":2r866ur7 said:
I don't know if this will be any help, but here it is. A NAPA Rebuilt pump #58199 applies to all 215s and 223s from '53 through '64.
The unit I have measures .688" from the mounting flange to the back of the impeller.
OK that helps. I haven't measured but there obviously is something amiss with the one I have

Water pumps are not all the same for 223 engines. The 215 and early 223 engines had a pump with a 1-piece housing up thru 1956. In 1957 they used a pump with a 2-piece housing. It had a backplate with was sandwiched between the front part of the housing and the engine block. With the '57 and later pumps, the pump impeller is inside the pump housing and does not protrude into the engine block. But it does not matter. You should be able to use either pump as long as you plug the extra pressure relief hole in the back of the backplate on the '57 pump when installing it on a pre-57 engine.

It does seem strange. I have 3 used pumps, 2 of which clear just fine. I'm assuming the one that binds is not servicable. I went ahead and got a new one from Oreilly for, IIRC, less than 30 bucks. It clears too. I'm restoring the truck, so used parts just don't make sense as this will be my daily driver.

Back