Valve seal size??

I have a 1964 ford galaxie with a 223 inline 6. All stock. I need some valve seals. On classic inlines website, they have .500 and .530 sizes. Which one do I need??

Not sure If this answers your question but the .500 needs the guides to be machined in order for them to fit; however, this will create a better seal. The .530 should slide over stock. This is however for the the 144/170/200/250 family. I'm not sure if the 223 is any different, but I do think you can still machine your guides to fit the .500 seals if you wanted.

The .500 and .530 valve seals are for machined valve guides. You can get stock umbrella valve seals at any parts supplier. If your seals are worn, there is a good chance you need valve guides. The 223 suffers from a inadequate oil supply to the valve train assembly. Often valve spring loose tension and fail along with everything else. Cutting a groove on the number 3 cam journal goes a long way to increasing oil supply to the top end. this will extend the life of your valve train. Good luck hope this helps.

Back