Ford 223 autolite 1100 carb idle issue

I have a 1964 ford galaxie. It has manual trans. I got it a couple months ago. I'm having issues with carb idleing. I rebuilt it because it was overflowing with gas. The rebuild went fine. I set the float correctly so the gas isn't pouring out anymore. I cleaned the hell out of the carb. All passage ways are clean. Still I cannot get anything out of the air screw. It does nothing. The screw is not bent or any scratches on it. If I have it off of choke,it is struggling to idle. It's like it's surging. High idle...then low idle. The motor is shaking bad like it wants to kill. I've sprayed around everything to check for air leaks. No luck. I can drive it on the road and it runs good until I hold in the clutch and it won't idle smooth. I have to pull the manual choke out a tad to keep it running. Points are at the correct gap. Accelerator pump is set correctly. Has a new fuel pump and filter. New inline filter by the carb. New plugs. It smokes a tad on start up due to valve seals. It has no hesitation when you give it gas. It's the idle problem that's whooping my butt. Point me in the right direction please

Have you done a compression test yet? How are the plug wires?

Back