1959 car 223 fuel pump replacement

bbskip

Supporter 2022
I have a 1959 Ford car Custom 300 with 223 I6 and Ford-O-Matic. I noticed the fuel pump is leaking and want to replace it but I'm not sure what part is needed.

The pump that is on the car has a glass bowl at the bottom and has 2 upright tubes on the top. The connection on one of them snakes around the valve cover and connects to the intake manifold. The other was connected to the vacuum wipers but I blocked that off when I replaced the vacuum wipers with electric wipers from New Port Engineering.

When I look for a replacement pump none of them have the glass bowl which I'm thinking has a filter in it. I do have an inline gas filter in the line to the carburetor. Also I see references to single and double action pumps with and without electric wipers.

Do I need a pump with the glass bowl? What is the difference between a single and double action pump? Can I assume a pump with electric wipers is now what I need since I no longer have vacuum wipers?

Thanks for the help.

Bruno

Hi Bruno, the pump you have now is a double action since you changed to electric wipers you can go with a single action pump or one for electric wipers , you don't need the glass bowl with an inline filter but it doesn't hurt. You did not mention where or what is leaking so going to assume it is fuel. Sometimes this can be due to the easily replaceable gasket for the glass bowl, many times is the diagram you may be able to get a rebuild kit if you want to try that. JC Whitney had them, also maybe MAC's. otherwise should be easy enough to get a rebuilt some have a metal cup in place of the glass bowl that you could probably change out to use your glass one if you want an original look. For performance use the later style AC pumps are better and you can also adapt the 427 Ford FE pump too with some work. Good luck

Thanks! I think it will be quicker and easier just to replace it for now. I can always try rebuilding the old one and reinstalling it later.

Bruno

Back