300 cid in a 52 f3

fordtruck52

i have a 52 f3 with the 215 ohv six. using a dwight bond adapter plate i have successfully installed a t5. with this conversion you use the original clutch pressure plate and a 10 inch gm clutch. the thing works perfectly however since the 215 only makes 100 hp on a good day i may want to upgrade to a higher output engine. im thinking that if the bolt patterns of both engines are the same maybe i can install an injected 300 in my truck. i realize that the 300 might be a bit longer but maybe i can work around that. anyone have advice?

I am not so positive on this but as I remember, the two center bolts for mounting the bellhousing to the block has a variance of approximately an inch difference with the 215/223 block being narrower than the later 240/300 block. Maybe somebody more familiar or with more recent experience will chime in as it has been several years since I have been involved in this.

Fred

There is almost no interchange between a 215 to 300 swap. first the bolt patterns are not the same so you would need to change the bell housing, the 300 uses the same bell as the SBF V8 so that would be easy to find. The motor mounts are also in different locations a 300 has side front mounts where your 215 has front ones. If you go though the work to make the mounts the 300 would be a great combo. Otherwise a 223 or 262 six is still in the same six family as the 215 so you would be able to bolt them onto the stock frame mounts. There are also some Hot Rod parts to build all these engines too. Good luck

so I've not been on this board for along time, was starting search about a flathead 6 and seen your post....

I put a 300 six in my 52 F-3..... it is longer and I had to modify the firewall, but it might not be required depending on style and location of your fan/radiator

:D Also remember that the 300 has the same BH bolt pattern as the 302,351 Windsor and the Cleveland 302(IIRC).That alone gives you a multitude of trannys and clutch setups to choose from.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

for now im gonna keep the 215 with the t5 behind it but when that old bugger finally fails (maybe never) im thinking of a 300 with a stick out of a ford f250 to keep the kind of original look and feel, the 215 runs fine but with only 100 hp it is pretty limited. thanks for the input

Back