223 Distributor Swap

Damifiknow

I want to upgrade the distributor on my 223 so I can install the offy 2X1 intake. Ppl say to getting rid of the Load O matic is a must. I think a dizzy from a 68 72 240/300 will fit with little mods but not sure it will fit a 1960 engine. Anybody Got any experience with this issue?

Yes you will need to dump the LOD with two carbs, if you can find a Mallory Duel Point with just mechanical advance that will work too. The 240 / 300 can be made to fit and some day if I can find the time want to convert a DSII distributor to fit my 223 also going to use a Offy 2 x 1V soon as I find a couple nice pair of Holly's with glass bowls. You might have to change out your oil pump to the later model 223 it will depend on the oil pumps drive shaft size that your engine has now. Good luck :nod:

Any idea what oil pump input shaft is in a 60 verses a 59.58.57. etc? What Mallory duel point do I need? Does Mallory make one for a 60 223?

I don't think Mallory is currently building the 223 distributors. Some used ones come up for sale or some new ones like this are still out there. This is a YC like what I had, think it could also fit a 1960 223 depends if yours is an early or late built 1960 year model (see below on pumps) but you should check it out in the Mallory catalog for correct part number. If it would fit yours it's a great price.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sa ... 52078.html

The early engines 1952 to 54 had a blade type oil pump drive, the 1955 to 1960 223's have oil pumps with a 1/4 inch drive shaft and a roll pin. The oil pumps changed from a gear type after 12/02/60 to late style gearator pumps. the 1964 oil pump uses the hex drive like the a 240 / 300 this would be pump needed to match up to swap in a 240 or 300 distributor. Good luck :nod:

This may be a bit late, However, you can mod a 74- 85 DSII distributor from a ford 300.
Either adapt the oil pump drive, or change oil pump to match dizzy. I just finished this in my 61 223, I changed out the oil pump to a 64 5/16ths drive pump..
Now I happened to have a 223 on an engine stand to dry run it, but it only took about an hour on my truck draining the oil, dropping the oil pan, swapping the oil pump, resealing the pan and adding oil. The pump uses two bolts to attach and the pickup tube another two bolts.
Now you can be a purest and use the ford module, but my research pointed towards the ford distributor being the best trigger, but the 4 pin gm module working best for the module. I also used the e coil out of a 85-97 4.6 v6.
I followed the diagram from the following post on y-blocks forever
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic73993-1.aspx
It fired and ran 1000 times better than It ever ran before, and ignition parts can be found at any parts store on a Sunday afternoon.
I am now working on dialing it in between advance, and spark plug gap, it can only get better.
Thanks to those who helped direct me here on this site.

I've a similar project in mind. Just went through and replaced all gaskets and seals to clean everything up. Pan was OK so didn't pull the engine.

Have the Ford 240/300 distributor and will modify to fit the existing oil pump. Will also be running a MSD Digital 6AL to get all the spark that can be got. That and new wires, plugs and all.

Can hardly wait, but need to get the windows and fitments in then repair/seal the floor.
=====

Back