1964 Ford 262 fuel pump?

froman212001

Bought a 262 being told its a 223 no big deal, but I need a fuel pump and am having trouble locating one that will work for a 1964 engine. I do not have one to go off of either it just had a block off plate. So they must of used an electric fuel pump which I will do if I have too, but if I can find a mechanical pump that's what I prefer. From the research I have done 64 was different from the other three years (61-63) these engines were built. There is no mount on the timing cover. Just one behind the distributor.

Yes the 1964 262 used in the Pick Ups is different from the 1961 to 1963 Six engines that were only used in the big trucks and having the Front Mount Fuel Pump. The 1964 262 Six engines was the one year that was also offered as an option in the smaller F100 pickups. so look for a fuel pump listed for use only a 1964 262 Six in a F100, F250, or F350. Good luck :nod:

Some years ago now I was really looking hard all over the SoCal area for one of the 262 engines or just a short block to build up for a hot rod wasn't able to locate one just the 223's. They are quite hard to find in some areas.

Here are a couple of part numbers you can try on the 262 Fuel pump Airtex # 60092 and FoMoCo #37229 on these two pumps one mounts the fuel filter canister up and the other down so always check the fuel pump mounting flange is going on the right way. NAPA or an other good old established auto parts house should be able cross reference numbers into Carter or the other brands too. Good luck I think you will like it once you get it all together. :nod:

The 61-63 262s have no fuel pump lobe on the cam shaft because number 3 rod will hit it. Some 1964 models have a small lift offset lobe designed to clear the rod. Be sure to use the correct pump for interference reasons. 1964 full size Ford fleet vehicles also had 262 engines. I know of one cab company that purchased 80 of them. Good Luck

Hope this helps.

Cool, and thanks for the info. Looks like a slight lobe on the cam. No one has given me an exact answer, so I think I'm going to just go with an electric pump to be safe, I hate buying and trying to return parts. Thanks again, until next time.

Back