223 distrib swap to 240

Daves55Courier

I am considering replacing the load-o-matic distributor in a '55 Ford Courier sedan delivery with a 72 Ford 240cid distributor which has mechanical advance, but first I have a couple questions for those who have done it and have produced a successful outcome in engine performance at all speeds.

1) How is the vacuum run to the dizzy vacuum advance can in the '72 Ford truck? did they run it off the intake manifold plug?

2) How can I be sure that the factory advance curve of the 240cid engine will work with the 223 engine without additional modifications? The 240 dizzy does not have advance curve adjustments above the breaker plate. Input please!

3) I've heard of some people welding the 1/4 dizzy drive shaft to the 1/4" to 5/16 adaptor (required to drive dizzy from existing 1/4" drive with older oil pump in the pre-1964 engine. I am not going to do that. If the shaft and adaptor are not perfectly straight I fear premature wear of the dizzy shaft bushing. Also it would be difficult to achieve symmetrical balance. what have other people done to furnish a balanced shaft assembly (short of dropping the pan and replacing oil pump with one from a 1964 223 engine) ?

Not sure of the metal wear qualities of the driver that you'd use as an adapter, but is it even necessary to bond them? As long as the driver shaft is long enough to bottom in the oil pump's hole so that there's no rubbing of the driver socket against the block, can you just lube the sockets up well and put it together? I think I'd prefer to use a deep-well socket.

Daves55Courier":1eqdqfe4 said:
I am considering replacing the load-o-matic distributor in a '55 Ford Courier sedan delivery with a 72 Ford 240cid distributor which has mechanical advance, but first I have a couple questions for those who have done it and have produced a successful outcome in engine performance at all speeds.

1) How is the vacuum run to the dizzy vacuum advance can in the '72 Ford truck? did they run it off the intake manifold plug?

2) How can I be sure that the factory advance curve of the 240cid engine will work with the 223 engine without additional modifications? The 240 dizzy does not have advance curve adjustments above the breaker plate. Input please!

3) I've heard of some people welding the 1/4 dizzy drive shaft to the 1/4" to 5/16 adaptor (required to drive dizzy from existing 1/4" drive with older oil pump in the pre-1964 engine. I am not going to do that. If the shaft and adaptor are not perfectly straight I fear premature wear of the dizzy shaft bushing. Also it would be difficult to achieve symmetrical balance. what have other people done to furnish a balanced shaft assembly (short of dropping the pan and replacing oil pump with one from a 1964 223 engine) ?

1) On a 72 Ford truck the vacuum can (advance) is hooked up to the carbs ported vacuum source. This source gets it's vacuum signal from just above the throttle blade.

2) You can't really be sure that the stock 240 distributor advance curve will be 100% correct and without needing to make some mods until you try it out. To tune the vacuum advance there are adjustable vacuum cans that will help in tuning or with a stock can you would be able to limit how much it can advance by making a stop. The centrical advance curve is also adjustable in limiting the amount of total advance and how fast the advance comes in by swapping a few parts. Their are two guys on this site that could do the curve for you if you need help.

3) It shouldn't be that hard to get the oil pump drive shaft straight enough to work correctly there are places that could probably easily machine you a custom shaft too. The bottom of the Ford distributors are supported quite well in the block and because of this the distributors lower shaft bushing seldom wears much it's the upper bushing wearing that causes the some problems.

Good luck :nod:

The adaptor will not be a problem. I brazed a 1/4" to 5/16" hex drive socket to a piece of 5/16 hex stock. Just clamp the parts in alignment. Braze or high temp solder them together. It will be straight enough. Once the distributor is clamped down every thing rotates in unison.

Back