223 mod guru help needed

unibody madness

Let me start with saying I am willing to try or learn anything new, but know/remember just enough to get in trouble.
I have been working on two different 223 motors and would like to get some info from the gurus.
I helped my son with a rebuilt motor install in his 61 flairside. I had it set aside for one of my 61 uni bodies, and my motor was running strong so its in the flairside till he can rebuild his.
First off the load o matic gave us fits, even with a pertronix it had a hard time on the freeway, probably because they spent more time parked than running. Rebuilding carbs was not helping ...so I began collecting Clifford performance parts.
The next step was to convert the distributor to one out of a 300. We did the DSII swap, used a controller/coil out of a modern GM 6. We used a computer sinc under the gm sinc to keep it cool enough to run. I may still hook up a 12 volt fan to insure it does not cut out the control on long hauls.
We set it up with the Holley #7448 350 CFM carb. Is this jetted too high?
It runs well around town at low rpms but runs real rich when under load or at higher RPM. To be honest I havn't a clue if the carb is too much, or if it is a distributor problem. I cannot find anyone in the area that can help setting up the dizzy in terms of curve or anyone that can suggest a starting tune point.
Any help or direction would be a great help
Thanks
John
John

Back