H.P. engine build 223/262 L 6

My goal for the engine is reliability. I have converted to modern ignition, gm alternator over generator, new clutch, mid 80s carter yfa w/electric choke over funky but finicky 1904. The engine runs so well on the stand and starts instantly even with old school inertia (slow) starter. That Carter couldn't be a better match for this engine. My original goal with the engine was just to replace broken exhaust manifold and replace damaged camshaft and be able to run mechanical fuel pump again but that was before I found it to be a 262 and I couldn't fine a cam with pump lobe anyway. So it's still going to run electric pump for now.
I toyed with running dual carbs setups but really don't want to use 1904s. I have several of them and I know them pretty well, well enough to keep them off of my RELIABLE build.
Clifford would be nice except they are very proud of that Damned Weber. $$$. I don't need a hotrod out of this truck I have a fast cars to drive on fast car days.
My aim is for honest and reliable.

Stock these engine very reliable and strong of corse after all these years of use the stock carbs and distributors are usually very worn out so the upgraded parts you used are an excellent mod. For your stated purposes forget the big Hot Rod 296 combo with its extreme over boring and stroking, just go with a minimum clean up over bore .040 to .060 and keep the cylinder walls as thick as possible.

You could get a 1964 262 cam (only year the 262 was used in the smaller pickups) or use a 223 cam if you really need to use a mechanical fuel pump. A pair of 1V carbs works very well on these sixes and still retains good economy as good or better then the single 1V carb because of better fuel distribution. A small single 2V carb could also work. Good luck you have a great start on the 262. (y) :nod:

I’m rebuilding a 262 now. Finding parts is challenging. A couple things I’ve found here for anyone that may come along. United Engines in Nevada has a Silv-O-Lite brand of pistons for 223. But not for 262. RaceTec/AutoTec in southern Cal forges pistons to your spec for about 2x what you’d pay for off the shelf stock. Egge Machine can build pistons as well. Cardone can rebuild water pump. I found a new ring gear thru Al Sueing in Wisconsin.

Thanks for directing me to this thread,

I noticed that there is no Journal measurement listed for the 215-223-262. It has the big end measurement but not the ID size with bearing installed as listed on other rods.

Like many other Ford engines a 215, 223, & 262 thats still Stock / Standard Size Crankshaft Rod Jurnals should be 2.123, the Standard Mains Size should be 2.399. Bearing sizes range from standard, .010, .020, .030, or .040 oversize then the cranks be ground under size. I don't have access to my manuals right now to verafy this though. Best of luck (y)

Back