1946 Ford two door sedan with Flathead 6

Mitch1947

I have a 46 Ford two door sedan with the flathead 6. Will the crab type distributor cap work on my engine? Can I use the original rotor? Does anyone make an electronic ignition system for this engine? New member Thanks

Mitch1947":3kgbsm3m said:
I have a 46 Ford two door sedan with the flathead 6. Will the crab type distributor cap work on my engine? Can I use the original rotor? Does anyone make an electronic ignition system for this engine? New member Thanks

Welcome to the site Mitch,

1. Yes if your car still has the stock G series engine (Flathead Inline Six of 226 cu.in.) its stock distributor is part number 1GA-12127 and the point set is part number is 1GA-12107. All 1941, 1942, 1946, 1947 cars and pickups that originally had an inline six these years Had the G series engine, stock they had a crab cap, it is part number 1GA-12106.

Also Note that: Ford brought out a higher compression version of the 226 Flathead in 1948 the H series it was used until 1951 it looks much like the G engine but it uses a different conventual Straight tower Distributor Cap, Rotor, and Point set. Ford also offered the M series Flathead Six from 1948 to 1953 (also used the same cap rotor and points as the H series engine) it was used in the bigger trucks but there were more then a few Hot Roders that swapped them into their cars too. Have you decoded your block casting numbers to ID your engine yet?

2. Yes it would use the stock rotor but again see above answer for more details. Stock G engine Rotor is part number is 1GA-12200.

3. I haven't seen or ever heard of an Electronic Ignition kit being made for these old Flathead sixes. Where you planning to go to a 12 volt system and driving your car a lot? If so there are some ways to make a better ignition system using the stock points as a trigger that works very well, other then that you could maybe adapt a better later model type distributor or even go distribor-less all depending on how much time and money you want to spend.

4. Additional stock parts info:The stock 6 volt Coil is number 1GA-12024-AR, Condenser should be 1GA-12300, Spark Plugs were Champion 7RA-12405. Good luck on your project. :nod:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/151 ... athead-v8/

I found this on the Hot Rod Magazine site. They had an extended issue about flatheads maybe six or eight years ago. It had a bunch of tips and products to improve performance. Much of that could probably be accommodated to a flathead six.

Seems to me you could use a Pertronix out of the box. They sit inside the distributor and are made for six cylinder engines. Only thing is that you need switched 12v current.

Back