Any interest in a new dual carb intake?

CNC-Dude

1K+
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
Just curious if there would be any interest in a newly designed dual carb intake and possibly other performance goodies for the Flathead 226 and 254 engines? The reason I ask is because I have a guy on another forum that is serious for me to design and make patterns to cast a new dual carb intake, and is sending me a stock intake to pull dimensions from to make one. He was also thinking about a finned aluminum head down the road and finned side covers as well. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I've no skin in this game, but am interested to see how it progresses. What I do have is both Fenton 2x1 intake manifold and split exhaust manifold for the 215/223/262 inline 6. I know a lot of folks are looking for them but there has been no production for a loooooong time.

Thanks for the short hi-Jack.
=====

There just has been too many vintage engines that have fallen off the radar but are still worthy of someone taking the time to make performance parts back for them.

Been thinking about a 226 or 254 for awhile too think they have so much potential. It would really be great engine in one of the early ShoeBox Fords & Merc's or even an old F1 personally would like it to be a 1949 but there’s lots of others that it could be a great engine in too. (y)

Shoeboxed":tzdza843 said:
I'm all in if the price is reasonable

I think I can keep the cost down pretty modestly since I am keeping all aspects of the design, casting and machining all in-house.

Reasonable cost for dual exhaust on a 223 would be awesome. Patriots do not fit under the 60s truck cross members, and Clifford performance wants more than some trucks are worth. reproducing something similar to the old fenton headers would sell well from what I have read.

Yes, I have looked at doing some cast iron dual headers similar to what Tom Langdon makes for the Chevy inlines and other engines. I think I can be able to fall into the $250-$300 range for the intake manifold. Thanks for the interest!

There seems to be a fair amount of interest for the old Fenton 2x1 intake and split exhaust manifold for the 215/223/262. I could loan mine should you be interested in copying.
=====

I'm getting the 58 ready for a car show in mid-February and will have the intake and exhaust mounted. Rebuilding a couple of glass-bowl 1904s now. Dual exhausts already in place. No judging for me at the show, but a "club display".
=====

I may hit you up to borrow it. I had a guy going to donate a stock intake but he hasn't shipped it to me yet. It was supposed to go out before the Christmas holidays, unless someone else has a stock you they would like to offer.

CNC-Dude":3bfmlz6b said:
Just curious if there would be any interest in a newly designed dual carb intake and possibly other performance goodies for the Flathead 226 and 254 engines? The reason I ask is because I have a guy on another forum that is serious for me to design and make patterns to cast a new dual carb intake, and is sending me a stock intake to pull dimensions from to make one. He was also thinking about a finned aluminum head down the road and finned side covers as well. Any thoughts? Thanks.

we would be interested in both the intake and the dual exhaust! How far have you gotten on the design / fabrication? do you have a price yet?
Hope it works out, thanks...John (y)

Hi John, its still only on the drawing board because the original person that was sending me an intake to pull dimensions from never followed through with his end of the bargain. So I am needing a stock intake and now since a dual exhaust header has come into the mix, one of those also so I can move forward.

CNC-Dude":35ssqfbk said:
Hi John, its still only on the drawing board because the original person that was sending me an intake to pull dimensions from never followed through with his end of the bargain. So I am needing a stock intake and now since a dual exhaust header has come into the mix, one of those also so I can move forward.

I have a Ford Inline six 226 cu in sitting on an engine stand. I believe it is from a truck. My reason is, the exhaust header connection is on the fan side of the carburetor. I also have a 49 Ford coupe with the engine in my car with the exhaust header connection on the firewall side of the carburetor. When we talk about making dual exhaust out of stock parts, we split the two manifolds and "glue" them back together...we now have dual exhaust! I have the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold, also the single barrel carb for the truck. The carb is the same for both the truck and the car, except for the model number and a different top plate as I recall...would have to go to the cold garage to look. Same internal parts for both. I have looked at the concept of splitting the two exhaust but, the truck outlet seems very close to the top control arms...not sure if anyone has done this for a car installation? we are located in Hendersonville, NC 28739. would the two manifolds help you out in your design? cant give you the one on the car...its running at this time! I would loan out the two from the truck, they are off the engine on the shelf. keep in touch. John

John, i'm not entirely sure what the differences may be between the 223 and the 226. If they have a 100% interchange potential, then yes, I can use the intake and exhaust manifold you have for dimensioning purposes.

:unsure: I Dont think there would be much of anything interchangeable between the Ford 226 (G & H series) or 254 (M series) Flathead sixes and the Ford 215, 223, 262 OHV sixes. Maybe the Generator :nod:

I see a lot of people include them in the same description many times and was wondering if it was a typo or if they really had any similarities.

Back