Offy vs Clifford Intake

war-hog

I have noticed that many of you guys are running the Offy intakes on your 223s etc. Are there any large differences between them and the Clifford units? I have noticed a few NOS Offys for sale lately and am getting the itch to purchase one. Price seems much better than the Clifford. Also I had been planning to run the dual set-up, but have also found a triple. I can't seem to find much info to compare them on these sixes. Many seem to run a single 2 or 4bbl, but it seems to me, splitting the carbs would provide better flow to front and rear cylinders. What say you?

IMOP one of the old school Offy or Fenton 2 X 1V or a 3 X 1V intakes just looks "Right" on these old 215, 223, or 262 inline six'es and has that cool factor. Of course growing up back then those were the only hot rod fuel systems they had back in the 1950's and early 60's for inline six'es. There were many old timers back in the day that claimed they could even get better fuel economy over the stock setup, using one of the 2 X 1V intakes with straight linkage on the pair of Holley 1904's. Yes for sure there would be better fuel distribution with a pair of 1V's over a single 1V in the center of the stock log intake. The Clifford single 4V intake is really a great design and for performance use its a better intake. I had both types for my 223 in my 54 Customline but I decided to go with the more traditional vintage parts for that 1950's look. In the end it's all about what your expectations, goals for it, and what you really like that also counts. Good luck :nod:

Clifford intake manifolds by design with their larger plenums and runner size are intended more as a competition or increased performance above what you can expect from the Offy style manifolds. For more radically built engines that intend to run in the 3500+ RPM range more than the street cruising RPM range they will be fine. But when used in more stock cammed and lower compression engines, the Clifford intake may have decreased response of the throttle and poor low end driving manners and sensation compared to the Offy.

I like the package Clifford has, with the dual Weber. Entire engine will be changed from stock, cam head, etc. I am just worried that the dual Webers seem to be overkill, and I would like to keep drivability. This will be a daily type driver.

Should work great the carb's look like they are setup by Redline they were one of very best with the Webers. As far as drivability it should be excellent if the rest of your build is done to take advantage of it, and this should be semular to a single 4V though my best guess is that duel setup will give you a little more power and maynot be quite be as good on the MPG. Good luck :nod:

Back