Oil Pump Intake Relo

EastbayEffer

Greetings all. I'm brand new and loving this site already!
I have a 64 half ton short bed with a 262. I'm just starting a 2009 Crown Vic swap and can see that oil pan sump won't clear the new hardware.
Here is where I need help. I'm assuming I can locate the sump to rear and likewise alter the tube that feeds the oil pump to reach the bottom of the new sump.
Am I thinking about this the right way? Any other ideas I should be considering?

Yes that's the way to do the sump, about the only other thing you can do is to try and move the front crossmember forward as much as you possibly can and still have the wheels and tire combo clear the fender opening, when turning. Good luck :nod:

Thanks bubba. Helpful. Doubtful I can cheat the axle that far forward. To relocate the oil pump intake I've seen a long pick up tube for a 302 Bronco pan. Do you have any thoughts about trying to adapt that versus building one from scratch?

:unsure: I usually just build them to fit from scratch welding and positioning the sump where it fits into the chassis then building the oil pickup to fit the sump setting it about a 1/4 inch above the bottom of the sump. But that 302 pickup and a section of a 302 rear sump pan maybe able to be adapted into a 262 oil pan, without seeing them side by side though this is only a guess as to which is going to be less work. If you all ready have one or can get one cheap try the oil pick up first see if it comes out in the right place where you want the sump to end up then you could re-build the sump to fit it. If you can find a nice rear sump oil pan that's the right shape to fit into your chassis to cut out the sump and weld it into your 262 pan that will save you a bunch of fabucating work. One last though with the rear sump type pan the oil pick up tube is so long it's going to need to be supported somehow near the sump end or it will crack from vibration on the 302 this is off one of the main cap bolts so you can that bolt if it's long enough or find a stud long enough to use with two nuts and a couple washer. Again I don't know without seeing it but the 262 block might also have another suitable mounting point inside at the rear. Good luck :nod:

bubba - you are a gem! thanks again. yes the Bronco tube has a clip that lends support mid-way. not sure where / how it connects but will include in the design. will take a closer look. was hoping my build would use the 262 intact and unaltered but I think i've crossed that line already.

Hey, sorry for digging up an older thread, but I'm planning on doing the CV IFS swap on my 58, and would love to keep the 223 i6. Did you get everything situated with the oil pan? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Cody

maybe i'm missing something, but if you put a rear sump oil pan on engine, isn't the oil pump gonna be in the way? that's the problem i'm having trying to put a rear sump 223 in a 53 customline that came with a 215 cid. any thoughts?

I found a rear sump/Pickup tube to put in my sons 61 f100 but he did not set the cv to the bottom of the chassis but rather to the top.
He used 2"square tubing on the bottom,flattened the lower frame rail and notched the top so it kept the ride height. that way it cleared the rack

53customline":27vgnb3o said:
maybe i'm missing something, but if you put a rear sump oil pan on engine, isn't the oil pump gonna be in the way? that's the problem i'm having trying to put a rear sump 223 in a 53 customline that came with a 215 cid. any thoughts?

"53customline I assume that you have a truck version of the 223 that your trying to install in your Customline! In answer to your question a truck chassis or frame is much different than a car chassis, the truck engine mounting is different too using a front mount and two side mounts on the bell housing. The truck oil pan is shaped different and is much bigger. In addistion there is more room to fit the engine into the chassis compared to a Customline car chassis.

I had a 1954 Customline sedan with its orginal 223 six and 3 speed with OD it had a front sump pan, to best of my knowledge the 1952 to 1954 Customline car chassis is the same. If you had a car version of the 223 it should be a direct bolt in swap for your 215. You need to find a 223 car oil pan and oil pump pickup tube from a 1954 to 1964 car, they are front sumps and should be all the same, that would make it fit easily into the 53. Or else you could use the pans sump part and oil pick up tube from your 215 to weld to the pan rails of your 223 truck pan. Good luck on your swap. :nod:

Cody_James":5fl243ah said:
Hey, sorry for digging up an older thread, but I'm planning on doing the CV IFS swap on my 58, and would love to keep the 223 i6. Did you get everything situated with the oil pan? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Cody

My suggestion above to the OP on his 262 should work for you the 223 is in the same engine family. Good luck on your swap. :nod:

According to the shop manual i have, the front frame & suspension changed in 54. Looking at my old post, i realize i made error. I am trying to replace a rear sump 215. What i have, from salvage yard, is a front sump 223. I think i said it's a rear sump 223. You might have already figured out what I meant, just wanted to clarify.

Back