Making a load-o-matic carburetor work with a 300 distributor

Hey all. I have a refreshed 223 in my pickup and the last thing in my way is getting the engine to run right (or run at all.) I drilled out the drive gear on a 223 distributor so I can run a simple remanufactured 1970 Ford 300 engine points distributor. I used a 1964 223 oil pump and pick-up screen when I put my engine together and that's all fine and well. I've got a Patriot header installed, but am using the OEM intake manifold for now.

I've got the original Holley 1904 with a spark control valve. I plugged up the original spark control valve with silicone and let it dry. This resulted in zero vacuum going to the vacuum advance port on the carburetor. So I tried pulling vacuum to the distributor off of the manifold via a 3/8" NPT brass nipple. I can get the truck to start, but I have zero power to take off and drive.

Is there a way for me to get things running smoothly throughout the rev range or do I need to purchase a new carburetor? I've got the timing set right around 10 degrees BTDC and I have the point gap set at 0.025". I'm not sure on those numbers, but they were just a starting point. Do any of you have some pointers for me to get going?

I should add that I have a Clifford 4bbl intake sitting in my garage new in the box with the 4bbl adapter plate. However I haven't been able to justify the 475 dollar purchase price of a Holley 390cfm carburetor. I'm looking for simple options and I'm not trying to make a ton of power. Smooth drive-ability is what I'm after. I'd love to use what I've got for the carburetor, but I'd also like to hear about any easy and affordable options to get going. Weber DGV, DFV, DGAS... Holley 2300 or 5200 2bbl? Or just skip right to the 4bbl 8007?

Thanks for any info!

To me it sounds like you have a carb issue or a vacuum leak. Make sure the accelerator pump is working. Your timing and point gap are in range. Try running without the vacuum advance. The engine should run quite well with just the mechanical advance. That distributor uses ported vacuum not manifold vacuum. Try to get a decent running baseline without vacuum.

I am not an expert by any means, but I am currently working on a similar set up. I am trying to use a two barrel set up, and agree with the ported vac advise. I would also check to make sure the mechanical advance is not hung up have too light centrifugal spring set.

These engines can use more carburation and respond well. The Clifford intake works great it's about the best there is, in the old school intakes an Offy 2x1V intake with a pair of the stock Holley 1904''s is also quite good. Just abut any 2V carb is going to be a big help, like the Autolite / Motorcraft 2V carb's are a great as well as 4Vs, the Holleys 2 & 4 V's. You can mod your carb to work for a ported vacuum source for the newer distributor, the description of how it's done is in the below link. Good luck :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=74223

Back