1V to 2V adapter or carter 1 bbl for my 223

edgewood bronco

After a long lapse in my vehicle projects, I'm getting back to it.
This is for my 62 pickup with a 223. I'm at a crossroads. I'm not willing to spend the money for a Clifford intake, but am sick of my glass-bowl holley 1 V drying out and leaking whenever I try to start it after sitting (this time for a year). I wanted to swap to an Autolite 2100 with an adapter, but then got to thinking: The 1980 pickup with a 300 six that I just pulled the ignition system off of has a stock Carter carburetor on it. Would that be an easier swap for the old glass-bowl Holley? I'm not expecting great things out of the 2v on the 1v intake manifold, but it would get me going (I think) in the right direction.

My goal now in this swap is to get rid of the load-o-matic distributor and get a carburetor that tends to leak less after sitting for long periods of time without going the ultimate route of buying a Clifford intake.

The adapter is $50, and I have another 2100 sitting on the shelf. The carter is about $40.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Andy

The adapter and a 2100 Autolite / Motorcraft carb could work quite well. But yes on that Carter YF I agree it might be a easier swap on the 223 they are also very good working carb plus give you a slight boost in performance too. Some things you may have to do are to check the 223 intake manifold carb opening size my thoughts are that you may need to grind the opening out a little to match the size of the 80 300 six so the throdle blade clears as it opens. Next the base of the carb mounting holes will likely have to be slotted some to fit the 223 intake mounting stud spacing, both should be fairly quick and easy jobs to do. Or you could also make a simple adapter plate with a funneled shaped carb opening to bridge from the two different sizes out of some steel or aluminum that changes the mounting spacing it could also turn or ordinate the carb position to help it adapt to your existing throttle linkage. Next would be adapting the throdle linkage or to swap it over to a cable style linkage I think that should also be fairly easy too using a pedel / cable setup out of a 1965 or 66 Ford pickup or use what's in that 1980 pickup. My old 65 F350 (300 six) had that type cable linkage but it used a later Holley 1940 replacement carb which would also be a good swap candidate, any of those three carb's would cure the problem of a leaking dry'ed up fuel bowl gasket from sitting around for long periods of time. Good luck :nod:

Thanks Bubba. I'll probably swing by and pick that carb up on Wednesday. If it's still there. I'd still have to get the carb spacer, air cleaner, etc. for the 2100. more $ I don't want to spend. Hopefully the Carter will be easier to adapt. I suppose I outta measure just in case.
The firewall is much steeper on the 80 than the 62, so I'll have to use my imagination on the linkage. I did grab the throttle cable anyways because it was in great shape and it seemed like I outta grab it. Never know when that'll come in handy...

Back