Looking at getting a 226 L6 Flathead

mojojojo78

Hello all,
I am new to the forum and posted my intro already.
Right now I need some technical information on the 226 L6 Flathead. I have a 221 V8 flathead in my 1941 Tudor. The motor needs to be rebuilt, but at this time I don't have that kind of cash. I found a guy with a nice 226 for really cheap. Plus, I like the inlines.
So here are the questions:
1. Are there any parts that interchange between the V8 and L6, mainly flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and starter?
2. Will I have to have special engine mounts made, or will the stock ones fit in the same location?
3. Is there a provision for the anti-chatter rods?
4. Where do you get parts for these? I have looked at Macs, Dennis Carpenter and Bob Drake. Can't find anything really. Mostly need tune-up parts. I believe these use the Autolite 216 plugs.
5. Is there any conversion for the distributor, like the D.U.I. unit? I didn't even find a Pertronix kit.
6. Any dual exhaust headers like Fenton, or anything really?
7. Can the intake be modified to run a 2 barrel like a Holley 94 or an Autolite 2100? Which would be better? I have two 94s and a 2100 that I can use.
Well, these are my questions so far. I am still debating on the best route to go at this time. I am leaning toward the six, mainly because it puts out the same power as my current V8 and it's different. How many Fords do you see with the L6? They have mostly been converted to V8's.
I appreciate any help.

Hi, I won't knock a 6 if thats what you like, I drive one and like them too, but I also have a 59A flathead V8 and I'm very happy with it. To put it in a nutshell you would have to change everything at least from the radiator to the flywheel, probably everything is different, and as you noticed the V8 parts are easy to get whether stock or high performance. Good luck finding all that for an old Ford six. The reality is is the Ford V8 of that era was the go to performance engine of the time and the performance companies of the day focused on that. If I was going to do this swap I would find a parts car and change eveything. Of course the normal performance upgrades apply like head milling, porting and polishing. Good luck

Thanks B Ron.
I think for right now I mostly want to get my car driving. I can keep the V8 on the side and save up my money to get it rebuilt eventually. I just don't want my car sitting undriveable for a couple of years or more. I would like to enjoy it a little. Even if it isn't "fast".
The guy with the 226 is basically giving it away. So I figure I put out a few hundred now instead of having to come up with a couple thousand.
Besides, I have never actually driven a V8 Flathead, so it's not like I'm going to be missing anything.
So, with that in mind, I can get a bell housing for cheap. My main concern is the flywheel and clutch/pressure plate. I am not sure what I really need.
I found a flywheel on eBay that says it is a 114 teeth ring gear and uses a 9 tooth starter and a 9-1/2" clutch. I did find that size clutch. But will it mate up to my stock transmission? Will a stock starter work with that flywheel? Does anybody have pictures of the front motor mounts in a sedan with a L6?

mojojojo78":3qy9rfb1 said:
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and posted my intro already.
Right now I need some technical information on the 226 L6 Flathead. I have a 221 V8 flathead in my 1941 Tudor. The motor needs to be rebuilt, but at this time I don't have that kind of cash. I found a guy with a nice 226 for really cheap. Plus, I like the inlines.
So here are the questions:
1. Are there any parts that interchange between the V8 and L6, mainly flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and starter?
2. Will I have to have special engine mounts made, or will the stock ones fit in the same location?
3. Is there a provision for the anti-chatter rods?
4. Where do you get parts for these? I have looked at Macs, Dennis Carpenter and Bob Drake. Can't find anything really. Mostly need tune-up parts. I believe these use the Autolite 216 plugs.
5. Is there any conversion for the distributor, like the D.U.I. unit? I didn't even find a Pertronix kit.
6. Any dual exhaust headers like Fenton, or anything really?
7. Can the intake be modified to run a 2 barrel like a Holley 94 or an Autolite 2100? Which would be better? I have two 94s and a 2100 that I can use.
Well, these are my questions so far. I am still debating on the best route to go at this time. I am leaning toward the six, mainly because it puts out the same power as my current V8 and it's different. How many Fords do you see with the L6? They have mostly been converted to V8's.
I appreciate any help.

From some of my memories
1. I am fairly certain that the clutch, pressure plate, and starter will interchange. The flywheel may or not.

2. The stock chassis (frame) mounts should be the same and the engine (rubber) insulators should be the same too. if you have or find the stock 41 to 48 six engine brackets it should bolt right in.

3. I believe so.

4. Stock they came with Champion H10 plugs and yes the Autolite 216 (there are a couple other Autolite numbers too) they would be a good one to use and are gapped at .025. Tune up parts can be found at a number of places such as NAPA. Points were set to gap of .014-.016. Timing was set to 2 degrees BTDC (these are only the stock Ford tune up specs).

5. You probally would need to adapt or make your own. Example if you are converting it over to 12 volt there is away to use a Mopar control box and better coil to get a hotter spark by using the stock points to trigger it and the points will last just about forever I have used this on one of my old Ford trucks.

6. I am certain that there were Fenton's made though probably really hard to find a set now days. Many people used to also weld an extra flange on the stock exhaust manafold (split) to do a dual exhaust system. I don't think there are any headers still being made at this time but it wouldn't be all that hard to build a simple set if you can weld.

7. I think a pair of 94's would work great and also look vintage a single or a pair of Autolites would work very good too. There used to be dual carb intakes and even Aluminum heads made for them back in the day. Site member CNC-Dude was planing to make a new dual intake (look below in the Vintage Six forum for that other post) for these six'es if he can get a stock intake to pull measurements from.

This may or may not be a potential problem, so You might take some measurements first of the engine compartment to see if there is enough room (in length) for the inline six to fit. I had a 1941 Sedan Delivery for many years and know from my research that they and the Pickups used a different firewall when the inline six was installed. It may not matter on your 1941 car though as they were compleatly redesigned (different) body's and chassis then the 1941 commercial vechicals which still used the earlier 1940 chassis and body. Good luck on your 41 Ford build those six'es have lots of potential. :nod: Edited

Thanks for the info Bubba.
Since I already have a flywheel readily available and the starter out, I can check for fit.
What about valve? I believe these are similar to the 8BA in that they have the one piece valve guide. Does anyone know if the valves interchange?

Yes I think they are same as for the Flathead V8's, and also the Ford 2N, 8N, and 9N tractor engines. But you can really get anything you need in the way of the correct 226 engine rebuild parts such as pistions, rings, bearings, valves and guides etc. from Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs, Ca. A really Great company, my dad and I bought many kits and parts for the antique Ford Engines we rebuilt lots of Model A's and Flathead V8's. As for headers Reds Headers used to make them for the Flathead six'es so you could try contacting them to see if they still might have some sets they do still list some gaskets for the 226. Good luck :nod:

Thanks for the plug Bubba, I think one of our forum members will actually come through with a stock intake and exhaust manifolds for me to pull dimensions from to make this happen. He said they should ship tomorrow(Monday), so a dual carb intake and dual exhaust manifolds will be in the works. (y) I'll update as I progress with 3D modeling and begine the patternmaking process.

Back