Change oil filter to spin on from canister on 223

Lebowski

I recently replaced the 223 in my '60 Edsel with a 223 from a late '50s pickup. The Edsel engine had the spin on filter and the truck engine has the canister type so is there some way that I can convert my new engine to a spin on oil filter? If so who sells them? I couldn't find one on either the Mac's or Dennis Carpenter websites. Thanks....

You should be able to use the spin on oil filter parts off the 1960 Edsel engine if you still have it. The center fitting unscrews then the backing plate will come off, then reinstall the parts in the reverse order on the new engine. Good luck

bubba22349":1t7atsnv said:
You should be able to use the spin on oil filter parts off the 1960 Edsel engine if you still have it. The center fitting unscrews then the backing plate will come off, then reinstall the parts in the reverse order on the new engine. Good luck

I removed the center fitting before I got rid of the engine but I didn't know about the backing plate. Does anyone have one that they want to sell? If not I guess I'll have to blow $40 (with shipping) on a new one that 59Orphan found for me from Mac's. Thanks....

That same backing plate is also used on a Y Block V8's 272, 292, 312, and the Lincoln 342, and 368 too. You might still be able to get that kit at a NAPA auto parts store. Good luck :nod:

I regained access to the old engine and removed the backing plate so now all I need is a rubber gasket. Does anyone know where I can buy just the gasket?

It's only held on by the center fitting, so It's likely stuck by age and the the rubber gasket being hard. Try working it a little bit at a time all around to pry it loose you could also soak it with someyhing like PB Blaster. You should be able to get the gasket at NAPA or there is one also listed on that Macs auto site. Good luck :nod:

I found one on the Yesterday's Tractor site for 98 cents and only $11.95 shipping. LOL It should be here next week. Thanks....

:shock: wow that shipping is extreme, glad you found it though. Good luck :nod:

The washer arrived today but unfortunately I stripped the bolt that holds the original backing plate to the block so now what? I didn't have a socket that big so I bought a 32 mm one at Advance and that stripped it some so I decided that I should buy a big box wrench so I returned the socket and bought a 1 1/4" box/open end wrench and managed to strip it a little more with that. That bolt is on there REALLY tight. I said screw it and just put the old canister filter back on and it leaks a little just like it did before. So now my question is should I just live with the leaky canister filter or is there some way to get that stripped bolt off so I can install the other bolt for the spin on filter? :banghead:

Back