Flathead 226 Headers

mojojojo78

Anybody know who might supply headers or make custom ones for the 226 Flathead?
I contacted Reds Headers and he said that they have the patterns, but wouldn't have any available for several months. Something about training new fabricators. I am not even sure where to start searching. I called a local muffler shop to see if they might know anyone. No answer yet. I can't even find a stock manifold. There is only one on ebay going for $400.
Is the cast iron really hard to weld to? I did a Google search and most of the cast iron welding was to weld up cracks, not do major repair.
I did see that flange from Victory Header Flanges. But the problem with theirs is that the intake is part of their flange. So not only would you have to make exhaust but also the intake. Or I guess just cut the flange up. But I still have to find someone that can fab them up.
This is really the only part that will be holding me back.

I've been getting that story from Red's for a couple of years.

I modified a header from a 1960's Falcon or Mustang with a 200 cu.in six. I cut off the Falcon flange and used the Victory Headers flange with some short pieces of 1.25" mandrel bends. The outer ports lined up almost perfect, the two center ports were within 1/16" and I had to heat and move the #2 and #5 pipes about 5/8" each.

That sounds like an interesting idea to try. I was thinking of buying that Victory Flange,it's not super expensive at least. Maybe I'll find someone on Craigslist selling headers for the falcon.

$ 300 + actual shpg via Fed-Ex (just my preference as I have an acct with Fed-Ex)

Alternatively, accepting close offers.

I have 3 photos that I can e-mail to you, if interested.

JW

9 zero 1 -- 7 five 3 -- 1 one 3 0

Back