226 Flathead Six - What's it worth?

critchdizzle

I'm looking at selling the six out of my 1950 sedan, along with the three-speed manual transmission with overdrive. Anyone know what I could get for this? I've put it several places for $250 for both, but nothing happening. Is this only good for a boat anchor? Or am I advertising in the wrong places? Anyone out there interested? I'd post in the vintage classifieds, but looks like all that's over there are crickets and tumbleweeds.

critchdizzle":1kf85i73 said:
I'm looking at selling the six out of my 1950 sedan, along with the three-speed manual transmission with overdrive. Anyone know what I could get for this? I've put it several places for $250 for both, but nothing happening. Is this only good for a boat anchor? Or am I advertising in the wrong places? Anyone out there interested? I'd post in the vintage classifieds, but looks like all that's over there are crickets and tumbleweeds.

I'm no expert on this and I suspect some prices depend on the area where you live,but I can tell you I have sold 2 Ford 3 speed OD transmissions for 175 bucks each,and one from a 337 Lincoln for 350 bucks. The Lincoln trans went to Oklahoma,and the two Ford trans went to Ca.

Also,the exhaust and intake manifolds should sell for at least 75 bucks each if not cracked or broken.

None of this is taking into consideration what the rebuildable water pump,starter,generator,or carb will sell for as replacement cores.

Granted,you can never sell anything for the same total you would get from selling it a piece at a time for parts,but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get $250 for the pair as long as they are complete and have no cracks or broken mounting surfaces.

You might have your best luck advertising the engine on a old Ford pu board. 6's were a lot more common in pu's than in cars,so there would be a bigger market there due to their being more restorers looking for one. Sell the trans separate on a car board or as a replacement for a 52-56 F-1 pickup trans.

Back