Ford 226 H Flathead, mini starter?

Hello,

Wondering if anyone knows of a mini starter that will work on a flathead 6 226 H series motor. My original style starter went out and I am looking to use a more modern starter. My motor was rebuilt about 1 year ago and has been converted to 12 Volt. Anyone running a mini starter?

Thanks

A mini starter for a Ford flathead v8 should physically bolt on but the drive gear must have 9 teeth to correctly mesh with the 6 cylinder 114 tooth ring gear instead of the 10 tooth v8 drive gear which meshes with the 112 tooth v8 ring gear. The v8 ring gear will not fit on the 6 cylinder flywheel. The complete v8 flywheel with it's 112 tooth flywheel will fit on the 6 cylinder engine allowing the use of a mini starter with the 10 tooth v8 drive gear. Hopefully someone makes a mini starter with the 9 tooth drive gear. Good Luck!!!!!!

Thanks for all the information. I have learned a lot over the last few days. The original starter for both the ford flat head 6 226 and V8 use the same original starter. Both starter gears have 10 teeth. The major difference is that the starter plates are different. The mini starter that I currently have does not have the space to clear the flywheel. The starter gear remains engaged since it does not have the appropriate clearance. I was told that the shape of the starter plate where you mount the starter on the V8 is convex and thus the gear on the starter is not in constant contact with the starter plate. Just a little info that I hope may help another member. So as far as what I am going to do is just have my current start rebuilt and drive the wheels of the truck. :beer:

The starters for the six and the v8 are exactly the same EXCEPT that the starter drive gear for the six has 9 teeth and the gear for the v8 has 10 teeth. If both of your starters have 10 teeth you were using the wrong starter gear in your six. The problem with this is that he ten tooth gear will not engage correctly with the six cylinder ring gear. This forces the ring gear forward and partly off the flywheel and is probably the cause of the interference problem with your mini starter. The relationship between the mounting plate and ring gear are exactly the same distance on the six and v8. The mini starter can probably be made to work in your six if something is done to move the starter away from the ring gear a small amount say 1 sixteenth maybe. Before doing any grinding, check the position for the ring gear on the flywheel and make sure it hasn't been moved forward by the wrong starter gear. Probably not a good idea to hammer on it to get it back to where it belongs against the flange where it will not interfere with your mini starter. This problem of the wrong gear is common, best way is get the right 9 tooth gear and use the original type Ford starter. Good luck.

Back