what late model i 6 engines are compatible with the 215?

fordtruck52

im thinking of replacing my 215 in my 52 f3 with a newer more powerful 6. any suggestions? would like to keep the same clutch pedal

The 223 and 262 six'es are in the same engine family as your 215 so they would be a bolt in swap in the F3. If you wanted to build new motor mounts and also change to one of the newer transmissions than the 240, 300 / 4.9 big Ford six'es would be the way to go. Good luck on your build :nod:

Actually, the 223 would not exactly be a bolt-in swap without some modifications for the motor mounts. If I remember right, the 215 motor mount bosses are located further toward the back of the engine compared to the 223 because the 215 has the distributor located in that area. Thus, the fuel pump on the 215 is closer to the front of the engine compared to the 223. It's as if the distributor and fuel pump traded places when the 223 came out in '54. Bottom line is; you would only need motor mount modifications and redo some fuel system tubing for the different fuel pump location.
If it helps any; the 223 engines were mfg from 1954 thru 1964 and I believe in the later years it was only offered in pickup trucks till '64 due to the engine being phased out.
During that era, they were offering the new 170cu in and 200cu in engines in cars like the Falcons, the mid-sized Fairlanes and Mustang Pony.
Sorry don't know anything about those nor the 262.

Some of the pickup 223 and 215 sixes had the front support off the front of the engine if memory serves. If so, maybe no front mount change will be needed.

Yes that's correct truck engines all used the front engine mounting system along with mounting pads on the bell housing, a totally different system compared to the car engine mounting. Good luck :nod:

Ok,am I right in assuming a FOM bellhousing for a 215 will bolt to a 223 block?

Will it also bolt to a 51 226 flathead 6 block? The 51 was the first year of the FOM,and in 52 Ford switched to the OHV 215 6. Hard to believe Ford made a "one year only bellhousing" for an optional engine.

I need to know because I am going nuts trying to find a bellhousing to put an original FOM in my 51 Ford coupe.

Back