Multi-carb hood clearance and a CFM question

peeeot

Does anyone know whether the offy multi carb setups will fit under the hood of a 1960 full size ford? Clearance is tight!

Also, according to the math, a 223 only needs about 230 cfm at 4500rpm and 80% volumetric efficiency. If the stock 1904 flows about 215 CFM, why are people seeing such improvements by adding higher cfm carburetion?

peeeot":275odndo said:
Does anyone know whether the offy multi carb setups will fit under the hood of a 1960 full size ford? Clearance is tight!

Also, according to the math, a 223 only needs about 230 cfm at 4500rpm and 80% volumetric efficiency. If the stock 1904 flows about 215 CFM, why are people seeing such improvements by adding higher cfm carburetion?

A 2 X 1V multi carb intake gives better fuel distribution which in turn raises the Volumetric Efficiency, which a number of different performance parts and mods can accomplish. As to if it will fit on your 1960 Ford I don't know for certain but my best guess is yes because these intakes will fit on the 1957 & 58 Fords which also have a low hood line. Good luck :nod:

That makes sense about the volumetric efficiency. Larger Venturi area means less flow restriction, thus higher VE.

I had a 57 and a 59 ford with the y-block; neither hood seemed as tight as the 60 but then neither car had the 6! If the downdraft carbs won't fit on the offy intake, I suppose I could bolt on some 90-degree bends and mount a pair of sidedrafts :D

The 1957 and later models had a lower profile doghouse than earlier models. To remedy the clearance problem, the factory redesigned the intake manifold with a lower rise carb mounting surface in conjunction with a remotely mounted air cleaner. The 1956 and earlier models had a high-rise intake manifold and oil bath air cleaner mounted directly on top of the carb throat, but there was plenty of room due to the higher profile doghouse.
Most aftermarket performance intakes I have seen (Edelbrock, Offenhouser), are low profile in design, so I would not worry much about clearance to mount the Holley 1904 carbs, but you would need remote mounted air filter arrangement.
Bear in mind to pipe only ONE of the Holley carbs vacuum line to the distributor vac advance and plug the vacuum port on the other carb.

Back