AC, alternator and power steering brackets for 223.

bubba22349":1prkumdr said:
The first one is easy decodes as the head being cast at the Ford foundry on January 17, 1963 and making it near the end of production of the 223's. I can't make out the numbers and such in the second picture, the other block numbers probally are up under the exhaust manafold or in the indents along the oil pan rails. The third picture is of an aftermarket engine rebuilders tag can't help much with that, but it should give you the details of sizes of the internal rotating assembly. Depending on the code that company used the cranks Rods & Mains "A " may mean that they are .010 / .010 under size, can't read all the numbers on the bore size looks like 3.80? Good luck :nod:

Thanks for your input! Does the 4th pic give any clues? When I was searching for a water pump and water neck outlet and gaskets I had several options for a 223.

:unsure: sorry for being late to reply the water outlet gasket for a 1963 to 64 should be right to fit your head. For the water pump get one for a 1959 Ford car or Ranchero and it should be correct. How are you doing on your build? Good luck :nod:

I've neglected to post an update. I've been done since June and everything is working out great! I just need to change the manual steering box to my power unit this coming winter. I've not had any issues with belts slipping or being out of alignment

:beer: wow garrilla that's some very nice workmanship and detailing. Did you do the pin stripping too? Thank you for the updates to your post. (y) :nod:

bubba22349":3fg272wq said:
:beer: wow garrilla that's some very nice workmanship and detailing. Did you do the pin stripping too? Thank you for the updates to your post. (y) :nod:
Thank you! Pin striping was done by a friend. I'm going to paint the manifolds this winter. Do I have to get year specific gaskets or are all 223's the same?

Most of the 223 gaskets are the same as far as manifolds, head, oil pan, timing cover, etc. the exception though is that there are two different valve cover gaskets used. Early models used two mounting studs with a large rubber donut and washer in centerline top of valve cover as the hold downs, the later models used about 8 small bolts and hold down flanges around the valve covers edge, like yours. So in your case since your head is a 1963 if you needed a valve cover or the complete top end gasket set (valve grind set) then get one for the late model 223 about 1963 up. Some gasket sets though may have all the possible gaskets combinations used in a rebuild set. Good luck :nod:

Back