223 compression ratio increase

peeeot

I need to replace the head gasket on my 223 and am considering having the head milled while it is off to increase compression. It is my understanding that higher compression increases combustion efficiency, improving power, torque, and economy.

I don't know what a good target would be--perhaps 9.0-9.5? I'd like to stay with regular gas.

It looks like the head gasket available now is a multi-layer steel gasket. Do we know the compressed thickness of this gasket, or how it compares to original?

Has anyone done this on a 223?

:unsure: you didn't mention which brand of head gasket so can't be of help on its crush thickness but it probally can be looked up on their web site. But for sure you will need to at least mill the head the differance of the orginal steel shim head gasket thickness (their roughly about .025) and whatever the new head gasket thickness is just to get back to your years stock 8.4 to 1 compression ratio that you had. The top of the heap in 223 performance was the 1957 and 58 223 engines (145 HP and 212 Foot Pounds of Torque) their compression ratio was at a higher 8.60 to 1. If you still want to run regular gas than 9.0 to 1 is about the limit. Finding out the true compression ratio would require CCing the combustion chamber size, togeather with the head gasket thickness, plus the amount the pistion is at TDC is from the top of the block. If your having a fresh valve job done on your head consider having the valve bowls opened up and blended, three angle valve job with the valves back cut for better flow too. Some adistional porting work could also help gain some more power. Good luck :nod:

Hi, X2. If you are planning on milling the head you should find out the original combustion chamber size and cc check at least one or two other cylinders. Then you will see if the head has already been milled by a previous owner doing a valve job. Good luck

I'm sorry, Felpro is the only brand I have seen for sale at the sites I usually use for parts. Here is a link to the Felpro site listing for the gasket:
http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part-de ... RLANE&vin=

It lists a manufactured thickness, but not a crush thickness.

I am not planning to do a valve job, but I will consider it. In order to check the combustion chamber volume, I was thinking I could use a calibrated dropper and see how much liquid it takes to fill the chamber. Would that be an acceptable method?

(y) FelPro head gaskets are great I have used them for many years. Use that manufacturing thickness that will be close enough subtract the thickness of your orginal head gasket as the amount to get back to the stock 8.4 compression ratio. Yes any way that you are able to measure the chamber sizes accurately will be fine, to go even further a to 8.6, 8.8, or 9.0 compression ratio. I use a 100 CC Buret and a piece of thick plexiglass, a little white grease to seal it around the combustion chamber with a 3/8 hole drilled in it that I place at the top in corner. If you don't need to do a valve job right now that's ok too. Good luck :nod:

Back