what fits what?

john michael

Hi to all,
I have two inline flathead engines, one is a '47 G series with a cast BH, clutch, 3speed side loader, and torque tube.

The other engine is a '49 H series, no drive line.

Will the '47 drive line fit the '49 without major surgery?

Well, I am pretty new to the H series. I am putting one in my 41 Tudor. So far it seems all the parts on the engine plate and back will interchange. I believe you can take the engine plate, bell housing, flywheel and clutch off the G series and bolt it up to the H series without any problems. Use the motor mounts too. I believe the only real difference is the oiling and ignition system. The G series is driven of the front of the cam while the H series is driven off the middle of the cam. I think even the intake and exhaust manifold interchange.
Maybe someone with more experience on these engines will chime in. So far it is working for me.
I am planning on getting it back in the car this weekend. So I will keep you posted if anything goes wrong.

I am grateful to hear and looking at both engines I believe you to be correct.
I even think the manifolds will swap...
going to try the H on the G bellhousing tomorrow

back to topic
the flywheel fits, the starter fits
the bellhousing would fit if I drill out a few holes, but I can't bring myself to do it!

If I recall correctly, some of the lower bell housing mounting holes in the engine or the bell housing need to have threads drilled out so that the mounting bolts can be used to attach the bell housing to the motor. If you do not want to drill out the threads on one or the other, maybe you could use a stepped stud, 7/16" to 3/8" and a 3/8" bolt and lock washer. This would allow you to use the 47 and older bell housing which would line up correctly with the clutch linkage and torque rods with transfer the power from the rear axle through the torque tube, transmission and bell housing to the frame. You may not be able to use the 49 engine plate with the early bell housing. The early bell housing is the way to go. I hope this is all clear. Post any questions if this not clear. Good luck. Richard A

Back