223 Rebuild Kit recommendations

mprima

I was wondering if I could get recommendations for rebuild kits from everyone. I was going to order everything individually but thought I'd toss around the idea of a kit and figured y'all would be the best place to ask for recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

no recommendation other than find a decent machine shop and ask them, I got a great deal buying a motor that had already been rebuilt some years back. you will find little difference between cost of rebuilding 223 and 292 Y block.Whats wrong with your engine and where are you located?

Master rebuild kits are a great way to same some money! Places to try are NAPA auto parts, Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs Ca., and Northern Auto Parts, you can also try John Mummert's (YBlocks.com) has Ford Y Block performance parts in Sol Cal area and he use to list some performance and rebuild parts for the 223 six'es too so you could call and ask him. Good luck on your rebuild :nod:

I went for about a 200 mile drive before coming to work. Before I left i checked all the fluids. Got home ... parked it. Next morning checked under the truck, no leaks at all. Pulled the stick and it was about 2 qts shy. Did not notice any smoke while driving (except at take off from a dead stop). Wife checked it (been in the garage for a week) dry as a bone under the truck. She started the truck up and ran it for about 5 mins. She said she didn't see any smoke at all.

I get home in a few days and will do a compression check. Just prepping myself for a possible rebuild if needed (suspect it might need rings, but if you going to go that far might as well freshen up the whole motor).

Not as familiar with these 223's and good sources for parts. I can find parts for my 200 and 289's in the Stangs all day.

I'm in Baton Rouge. I found a few shops that I'm going to talk too. There is also a very good shop about an hour away from me that I have used on other builds.

Good plan to do the compression test. (y) Parts for the 223 are still available were and are very popular. Before dive into a rebuild check out the valve stem seals are in good condistion yet, they could be replaced with head still on engine. Good luck :nod:

Back