Engine Cutout and question about Triple Deuce Idle RPM

Newbie here. Went to AZ 8/15 and drove around in my 58 F100 for 30 minutes or so. Stopped at several stop signs and stop lights and engine continued to run without dieing. Seemed to idle fine. Purchased the truck and had it shipped to Idaho. Got it today, and it is having a hard time running. Stop at stop sign and engine may or may not cut out. Here is the setup on the truck.

Pertronix igniter ii
Offenhauser Intake
Triple Deuce Ford 94s progressive linkage
QFT Fuel Pressure Regulator
Tremec 5 Speed
Cam? Don't know what cam.

Truck will stay running when parked with choke partially engaged. RPM is at 1100. Spoke to previous owner and he said that was normal for the truck, but seeing on the forums that it should idle at 475? So what should it be? Is there something with the setup listed above that would cause the RPM to be higher? And any clue as to why it ran fine when I test drove in Phoenix AZ but cuts out in Boise Idaho? Could the 1500' in elevation change cause the primary carb to not behave properly?

Hi, needing to choke it and a high idle makes me think vacuum leak. Maybe one or more of the carbs has a throttle hanging open. I would spray some carb cleaner at the carb mounts and work on dialing in the three carbs. Make sure the throttle shafts in the front and rear carbs are fully closed, and set the idle off the center carb. Good luck

X2 Having to have the choke part way out so it idles at 1100 is much too high. Yes stock they will easily idle down to 450 - 475 some even lower, depending on your cam grind it may not idle down as low as stock yet 1100 is really high for a 223. If it can't atleast idle down to about 600 RPM or less than your likely bypassing the carb's idle circuits. Having it shipped might of caused you some of your trouble your having by knocking some crude loose in the fuel tank and or the fuel lines. You might need to clean out the fuel tank, plus the check out the carb's cleanliness, the float level settings, ect. and replace the fuel filters too. Have you tested the fuel pumps output yet? X2 Yes it could for sure be vacuum leaks also check to see the that the intake / exhaust manafold bolts are torqued down to spec. Good luck :nod:

Back