Fast idle - 226 H Series

mojojojo78

I just got my car started the other day and it idles like I have it floored.
1) Completely stock mechanically
2) Pertronix Ignitor II (timing is set, no pings or misfires)
3) stock rebuilt carburetor
4) electronic fuel pump with an adjustable pressure regulator in line (I have this set at 1 PSI)
5) Converted to 12V with a 3 wire Ford Alternator
So it will start after a few turns with the choke on. Then it jumps up to what I am guessing is 1500 RPM. I don't have a tach hooked up yet.
The car will run for about a minute then die. It smells and looks like it is running rich.
Anyone know how to adjust these carburetors? I bought it about a year ago and installed it a couple months ago. It had been inside my house during that time. Could something have got stuck in the carburetor?

Hi, my guess is the fuel pressure is too low, so go up one notch on that. Look at the choke assembly for an adjustment screw which will control high idle, only when the choke is pulled out, and turn it counter clockwise to lower the idle. It will be running rich with the choke on, so work on getting it to run and idle down so you can adjust the carb and ignition timing. You cannot adjust the carb as it is, and you may have vacuum leak (s) to deal with. When you push the choke in, fully open, the high idle adjustment screw should not be touching the ramp. Good luck

Just an update for anyone interested.
Yesterday I took the carburetor off and disassembled the top half. I check the float and the needle valve. No debris in there. I also check the other moving parts to make sure they functioned properly.
Put it back together and back on the car. I adjusted the idle screw (Brass screw on side) all the way out.
Car started fine and idled okay. Still high (like maybe 800 rpm). I still need a tach.
My car doesn't have an exhaust hooked up yet, could this part of the reason for the high idle?
There's also a slight stumble.

Though you can get close without but yes to get the very best tune for your engine then everything needs to be installed just as it will be operated on the road. Ie the compleate exhaust system and the air cleaner installed too. Have you checked for vacuum leaks on the throttle shaft and intake manafold yet? Good luck :nod:

Back