block identification

A

Anonymous

A little background. Im brand new to classic trucks. I just bougth a 53 f100. Noticed engine temp. gauge not working. Starts hot immediately goes to cold and stays there indefinitely. So I assumed that it was sensor. Engine block says eaa-6015-b so its a 215. But the block stamp is 5752115. Stamped also Fordco. According to an email site someone led me too I can see if it is a 5752113 its a 58 or 59 223. But what is the last digit in my stamp. Im postive its a five. So if it is a 223. the sensor would be 12v. Right? If thats the case thats why my sensor doesnt work???Im 6 volt. thanks ahead for help.

6015 is the Ford line number for blocks. Detachable intakes are 9425 or something. Each of the 10 000 + odd parts Ford made themselves was quick coded this way. So 6015 isn't a capacity reference, sorry buddy. It's the block code. The preceading and proceading numbers are the ones that tell you what generic block type has been used. I don't know what those are, and haven't been following things too closely.

The first three letters (or one letter and one number on post 63 blocks, IIRC) are the date code. The last letter is the revision code, which shows any sequential changes to the block casting during its production run. Often, Ford had the same blocks with varying strokes, and these capacity changes are only able to be found by the chassis code, registration, dealer delivery docket or by simple measurement of the stroke with the piston moved from BTC to TDC using soft iron tie wire, and amrking the stroke with a pen.

In 1956 Ford switched over to 12v neg ground. Before that it was 6 volt positive ground. Since you believe that you have a 223 from 1958 or 1959, if someone swapped the motor in and didn't change the sensors, then it would have 12 volt sensors. Since you say you're running 6 volts, then you would need a 6 volt sensor. The truck probably should have a 215 six, which is the older version of the 223. A temp sensor from a 215 would work.

Just re read my email.....I mis stated one important thing. I suggested Block was stamped 5752115....I meant head. The block is stamped EAA (suggesting 215). SO, I m assuming the head is probably a 223. My problem is that the 6volt sensor (8A10778 something like that) threads are about 5/8" The 12volt in there now has a thread of 1/2". Do they make a 6volt sensor with 1/2" thread or maybe smaller? I could then use a reducer.
Sorry if Im now posting this in wrong spot. Im going from trying to identify block and head to sensor help

Thanks for your replies.

Back