Rebuild or buy New

LinwoodP350

Looking for some advice

I found a website Champion Carburetor that offers new carburetors for my 1964 Ford P 350 1bbl 3.6l 223 manual choke 4 speed manual ... Has anyone had any experience with putting on a new carburetor verses rebuilding the original?

Thanks for your feedback
LinwoodP350
Link below

http://www.championcarburetor.com

Yes I have rebuilt many carbs as well as installed many new carb's. Old orginal carb's after this many years will often suffer from very worn throdle shafts, in that case it's hard or impossible to tune them correctly until the carb's base has been rebuilt back to spec. Depending on the condition of your carb and how much time before you need to use your truck again this maybe the overriding advantage of buying a new carb. Good luck :nod:

I've been running a Champion replacement carb on my 170 for my 61 Falcon about two years, because the many Holley 1904 carbs I tried leaked gas through the bowl due to warpage. It works fine, plus it has ported vacuum which works well with the recurved DUI dizzy.

Hi, most of the time the old carbs are great after a rebuild. The carb kits come with all the parts and great instructions with pictures. As mentioned, the throttle shaft needs to be checked for wear. You do not pull the throttle shaft out of the base on a rebuild, just check it for slop. Sometimes carb spray is enough to clean it up, and sometimes it needs to soak in a gallon can of cleaner, it depends on how bad it is. Good luck

Thanks for the advice ...I went back pulled the carb off and cleaned the hell out of it ... The truck is running much better ... Was able to take it out on the highway and open her up ... Top cruising speed was around 60 - 62 MPH The Yellow Submarine rolls again

I'm skeptical for many reasons.
1) The new carb has more adjustment options than the old Holley 1904 (externally adjustable main jet and accelerator linkage connection position). I wouldn't want adjustable main jet. The linkage connection does not appear as if it would work regardless what position you could rotate that lever.
2) Allegedly works with Load-o-matic distributor OR mech advance distributor. How is that possible without modification one way or another?
3) Allegedly replaces carbs that originally had external spark control valve or not regardless. How could you be sure without knowing the exact year distributor it will be working with?
4) It is devoid of any way to mount the Ford-o-matic dashpot nor the actuating lever. I need to have that.
5) the top of the air horn looks too high to be able to mount the oil bath air cleaner on, not sure.
6) Made in Argentina or Hong-Kong? Quality?
7) Made of aluminum alloy. If warpage might be a concern, how does this compare to the old potmetal carb bodies?
8] Apparently not available with the see-thru float bowl, probably due to concerns with possible warping aluminum housing with clamp/screws. I absolutely love being able to see the fuel level in the float bowl while engine is running.
9) $325 for a 1bbl carb?

Where are the pro's? You have listed all your con's
Just being me, but one of the reasons I enjoy this hobby, is I get tired of our disposable society. If the carb is rebuildable I vote do so. if you want to upgradf to a better ignition system system that's another question.

Back