1955 Ford 223 Correct Pump to Carb Fuel Line Size

Steves55

Appreciate anyone's help. I need to know the correct fuel line size from the fuel pump to carburetor for my 55 F100 223 inline 6. Is it 1/4" or 5/16"? Would it do any harm to use one or the other? Steve

:unsure: to my memory the fuel lines were 5/16. The only possible harm in using a 1/4 inch verses a 5/16 is in the amount of fuel volume supplied to the carb. Would using a smaller fuel line cause any problems? It might depending on your planed use, it's been my experience when racing that having enough fuel volume is quite important for best performance. Because of this I also use a minimum of a 3/8 fuel line from the fuel tank pickup tube forward to the pump for a Hi Performance build up. Good luck (y) :nod:

Hi, I don't know the size Ford used, but 1/4" is small. When I made my Bronco fuel line, the size was determined by the size of the fitting that goes into the fuel pump. I just bought a piece of brake line (already flared) and bent it and cut it to fit. It is probably 5/16. Good luck

The factory used 5/16" fuel lines for all the Ford full size CARS regardless of whether it was a V8 or 6-cyl engine. I do not know about the pickup trucks, but it is really the fuel pump and carburetor that matters and to my knowledge all the fuel pumps and carburators (6-cyl or V8, 2bbl or 4bbl or either fuel pump were all set up with 5/16" fittings in 1955 & 56.

Back