Oil Pressure Readings

mojojojo78

I have a question about normal oil pressure for a H-Series 226.
At idle (1000 RPM, I know it's high) I have 25 PSI
Then at speed, around 2500 RPM, it goes up to 40 PSI
It isn't until I get it over 3000 RPM that it gets up to 50 PSI
When it is cold it is a constant 50 PSI
I looked on Van Pelts and didn't see anything for the oil pressure. Does my reading sound normal?

Hi, normal- maybe, good-yes. Those pressure readings sound good. You do want to see the pressure rise as the RPM s rise.
Oil pressure is high when the engine is cold, and drops after the warm up because the oil thins out when it is hot.
Oil pressure also depends on the viscosity you run. 20/50 will run at a higher pressure then 10/30.
Good luck

Everything I have ever read or seen the general guidelines for any pressurized system is 10 psi for every 1000 rpm. Ford always told us 40 -60 at 2000 rpm hot was good.

mojojojo78":3un8eyxe said:
I have a question about normal oil pressure for a H-Series 226.
At idle (1000 RPM, I know it's high) I have 25 PSI
Then at speed, around 2500 RPM, it goes up to 40 PSI
It isn't until I get it over 3000 RPM that it gets up to 50 PSI
When it is cold it is a constant 50 PSI
I looked on Van Pelts and didn't see anything for the oil pressure. Does my reading sound normal?

I've seen those old flatheads go to nearly zero PSI at hot idle and still stay together (not that I recommend it). Keep in mind that the valve train is all in the block, so no need to be able to pump oil upstairs.

Your engine has fine oil pressure.

wallen7":1wa0x75f said:
Everything I have ever read or seen the general guidelines for any pressurized system is 10 psi for every 1000 rpm.
Thanks, that is what I seem to have.

Lazy JW":1wa0x75f said:
Your engine has fine oil pressure.
That is what I was hoping. I know these engines don't need a lot, but I had to make sure.

Thanks for the replies.

Back