226 Exhaust Size

mojojojo78

I need to get my exhaust done. Right now it is all stock 48 H-Series in a 41 Tudor. I have a 2" pipe coming off the exhaust manifold and would like to have it split to have dual exhaust. What size pipe should I run after the split? Would 1" be too small? Or should it be 1-1/2"? Where should the split start, right after the manifold or farther down? Does any of this really matter?
Eventually I would like to have the stock exhaust split or have something custom made, but for now it will have to be done this way.

mojojojo78":3bvfx3ta said:
I need to get my exhaust done. Right now it is all stock 48 H-Series in a 41 Tudor. I have a 2" pipe coming off the exhaust manifold and would like to have it split to have dual exhaust. What size pipe should I run after the split? Would 1" be too small? Or should it be 1-1/2"? Where should the split start, right after the manifold or farther down? Does any of this really matter?
Eventually I would like to have the stock exhaust split or have something custom made, but for now it will have to be done this way.

Well 1 inch is going to be too small. 2 inch should be good or if you want a little smaller then the 1 1/2 is about the minimum, 1 5/8, or "a 1 3/4" which would be about the smallest I would use. By the way if you can find someone to split the stock exhaust manifold the right way for your duels the total setup would be worth 10 to 15 horse power over all, that's a fairly good bump in power for these 95 horsepower flathead engines. Another good mod to boost the 226's power is a pair of 1V's or a 2V Stromborg carb and a better Ignistion system. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks Bubba.
When they split the exhaust, do they have to put a baffle between the front half and back half? Does that really free up 10-15 HP? That is crazy. Now I need to find someone near me that does that. Right now I have the Pertronix Ignitor II, but I have been looking at this ignition system from MSD. It controls the advance and everything, pricey, but cool. I have two 94's that were on my old 221 V8 that I would like to try and use, if possible.

Back