bought a Fenton exhaust manifold with issues

cars2cool

I finally found a cast iron Fenton exhaust manifold for my 223-I6. It has two issues that I found after I started cleaning it up in the glass bead cabinet. There is a hole in between the #3 & #4 exhaust runners, and not just a tiny one either. And a pin hole on the bottom of the #2 exhaust runner near the cylinder head. I do have a welding shop a few hour drive from me that has done other work for me and am very pleased with their workmanship. The small pin hole should not be a problem to fix, the other hole could be a problem. How critical is that to the performance and exhaust pulse for that to be sealed shut? Does anybody have a video of a 223 with a Fenton manifold running and driving? I thought I would put a video up after I got mine dialed in.

cars2cool":3h0yof91 said:
I finally found a cast iron Fenton exhaust manifold for my 223-I6. It has two issues that I found after I started cleaning it up in the glass bead cabinet. There is a hole in between the the #3 & #4 exhaust runners, and not just a tiny one either. And a pin hole on the bottom of the #2 exhaust runner near the cylinder head. I do have a welding shop a few hour drive from me that has done other work for me and am very pleased with their workmanship. The small pin hole should not be a problem to fix, the other hole could be a problem. How critical is that to the performance and exhaust pulse for that to be sealed shut? Does anybody have a video of a 223 with a Fenton manifold running and driving? I thought I would put a video up after I got mine dialed in.

Congrats the Fentons are a great manafold and very hard to find for the 223's. Yes Performance may suffer some with a large hole, But the even bigger problem is :banghead: You don't want any holes in the exhaust system period to leak into the car or truck, "carbon monoxide gas is a silent killer" ! A good cast iron welder should be able to fix the Fenton exhaust manifold back to usable condistion. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks Bubba for the reminder to all about carbon monoxide. The hole is located internally between the two outlets. The pin hole in the #2 runner is the external one that will leak the carbon monoxide. A little more background on the setup. It came with a Offenhauser 2 X 1bbl. intake with 2 mismatched 1904 Holley's. The choke on the front carb. was crudely wired open and the vacuum signal to the dist. was plumbed from both of the carbs. vacuum ports. It also came with NON-progressive linkage. The carb. spacers are matched in height but made from different material, one aluminum and one phenolic. The aluminum one is cracked so I am looking for a new matched pair. Any help locating these will be appreciated. Also has anybody on here installed the new 1904 replacement carb.? I might have to start a new thread on that topic.

cars2cool":midmav0f said:
Thanks Bubba for the reminder to all about carbon monoxide. The hole is located internally between the two outlets. The pin hole in the #2 runner is the external one that will leak the carbon monoxide. A little more background on the setup. It came with a Offenhauser 2 X 1bbl. intake with 2 mismatched 1904 Holley's. The choke on the front carb. was crudely wired open and the vacuum signal to the dist. was plumbed from both of the carbs. vacuum ports. It also came with NON-progressive linkage. The carb. spacers are matched in height but made from different material, one aluminum and one phenolic. The aluminum one is cracked so I am looking for a new matched pair. Any help locating these will be appreciated. Also has anybody on here installed the new 1904 replacement carb.? I might have to start a new thread on that topic.

If you are in a somewhat warm area then a choke isn't really needed, I remove them compeatly for a cleaner appearance. A pair of the old 1904 Holleys (with Glass Bowls are my favorite) they look and also work great on a 223 using the straight linkage. Normally you wouldn't use the progressive type linkage unless you had a 3 X 1V carb intake. Plumbing vacuum lines from both carb's works ok and many of the old timers did it this way, or you can just use one. Good luck on your build. (y) :nod:

I wish I were in a warm climate today, everything is covered in a sheet of ice with snow predicted next. I was going to take my Model A motor to Clare IA. today to have the babbet bearings installed. But fear and common sense are holding me back. My old cars are all tucked in high and dry for the winter. I only use the choke on initial cold start, after that they pop right off.

Back