Replacement carb and dizzy

I have been working through some issues with my '63 F100 223 budget build. The most significant issue that I have is that it has a Carter YF that the choke has been removed from. Also, the dizzy is loadomatic but the carb is not equipped with the control valve.

I am a total novice at this so this is the general plan that I have put together based on web research:

1) Replace the carb with a Chinese YFA that they sell on eBay for the 300. $99

2) adapt a 300 HEI dizzy to replace the existing. $60

I would really like to get some constructive feedback from somebody with practical experience. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Tom

:unsure: Sorry don’t have any experience with either of those items. The 300 DuraSpark II swap though is a very good ignition upgrade, and the stock Carter YF’s are a great carb too. Good luck :nod:

I pulled the trigger today and ordered the parts that I referred to. I hope that they are of good quality.

On a side note, my friend has been calling my truck Pedro because I am going to do a spring under axle mod. I stopped at the garage today to find this!!! Look closely at the rear window...

There was a time when I desperately wanted to swap the load-o-matic distributor in my '55 Ford Courier with a 1968-72 Ford 240cu in Truck distributor that has mechanical advance. In my opinion it is the least hassle of any dizzy swap you can achieve for the 223. Use the old gear off the '55 dizzy and fashion a new oil pump drive shaft to fit with 1/4"-5/16 hex transition. Otherwise a direct drop in. Could keep the old Holley 1904 carburetor, but remove the vacuum line from carb, plug the port in the carb and connect to vacuum line to intake.
Looked for a 240Cu in dizzy for a long time. None anywhere. None in junkyards round here either. Too old. You can get all the 300 Dizzy's you want if you wanna do all the extra machining.

I'm gunna hop on this thread B4 beginin a new one, U 4 guys R way aheada me.

Friend hasa 1962 223 in a Bread truck (P350 I believe by Brockway) his dad or grnd dad put a divorced transfer case in.
He has been havin carb (I think ign) trouble. He is 2 hrs away frm me, I thought I'd advise a lill.

Can he swap out to non-LOM/SCV like we do in the Falcon ('64 +) motors w/a DSII and nicer carb? We wait till '65 as the dizzy in that system has a lrger end (gear &/or shaft) than the pre '65. I C U 2 converse on a very similar point.

Thanks so much...

chad":74iir7x2 said:
I'm gunna hop on this thread B4 beginin a new one, U 4 guys R way aheada me.

Friend hasa 1962 223 in a Bread truck (P350 I believe by Brockway) his dad or grnd dad put a divorced transfer case in.
He has been havin carb (I think ign) trouble. He is 2 hrs away frm me, I thought I'd advise a lill.

Can he swap out to non-LOM/SCV like we do in the Falcon ('64 +) motors w/a DSII and nicer carb? We wait till '65 as the dizzy in that system has a lrger end (gear &/or shaft) than the pre '65. I C U 2 converse on a very similar point.

Thanks so much...

Hi Chad, yes the LOM / SCV swap is similar to the Falcon small six DSII swaps. Except with using the 240 / 300 point (1968 to 74) or the 300 DuraSpark II (1975 to 1984) Distribitor. The big six Distribitor drive gear gets swaped out for the 223 drive gear then it's a drop in check the 223 oil pump drive shaft size is 5/16, if not that will need to be adapted too. I don't have any experience with the replacement HEI 300 distribors though I imagine the same procedure of changing the gear will work on them to swap into the 223

Many newer carb's can be used too with adapters to the stock intake or swapping the intake for one off the aftermarket intakes from Offy or Clifford. Cliford made a nice 4V intake that you could also use a 2V carb on too. Good luck (y) :nod:

OK.
Will pass this thread'n ur response on. He came here bout a yr ago.
Don't think he's ever had the motor apart/out. Has done some shade tree to moderate wrk on other prts tho.
cam's drive gear swap should not B a prob. (Oil pump drive I'd expect a lill more trouble).
Thru the pan I guess...

What would hafta B done for something like a 2100 on this 223? I bet the motor is Tqie like the 'Falcon" & in a box job like the Brockway P350 a 2v would B of benefit?

Thanks for the post bubs~

In my OPIN the best way to mount a 2100 on his 223 is to find a used Clifford 223 Ram Flow intake. These intakes were designed by Jack Clifford back in the day as a 4V intake with square mounting pattern. They then used an adapter plate to mount a Holley / Autolite / Motorcraft carb mounting pattern. Clifford also had the 2V adapter for the Holley / Autolite/ Motorcraft carb mounting pattern. Today they also have the progressive 2V Holley / Weber carb adapter plate, all these adapters are Clifford proprietary bolt spacing so they will only fit a Clifford intake.

Clifford Ford 223 intake and header kit
https://www.shop.cliffordperformance.ne ... -Truck.htm

The other way round so to use one of the V. I. 2V to 1V carb adapter like some use on the small block six's not the best for flow but might work ok.

One of my other faveriote ways for a 223 is the Offy 2 X 1V intake (see below) with a pair of Holley 1904's or now you could get the brand new replacement Daytona 1V carb's if you can't find some decent cores.

Offy 223 2 X 1V intakes are available used or new from some Offy dealers such as Exeter Auto
Supply see below.
https://exeterautosupply.com/Docs/Offen ... atalog.pdf

This new 1904 carb copy would be a good way to go if he just wants to stay with his stock intake too see below.

New 1904 Holley replacement also sold by V. I. Too
http://www.championcarburetor.com/5362- ... 10720.html

Good luck (y) :nod:

Matt's seem best right now, just skimmin ur post, I'll lookit all as well.
Back later w/more thanks to nother ford6 fan !

Hi All,

I´m looking for a 2v x1. Someone know if offy 2728/8 would fit in my 61 223? If not, which one could you use? Someone have any 2v x 1 for sale?

All the best and happy Christmas

you may want to start your own thread. It will get dispersed more widely
that way, more people will see it, more responses. Only 'those subscribed to this thread'
will C this 1 here.

Can't tell, the pic is tiny - do U have a 223 ci ?
We have a forum specifically geared to that motor, another advantage (more specific responses) over there:
viewforum.php?f=18

bubba's excellent offy catelogue link may help you answ the Q U have
https://exeterautosupply.com/Docs/Offen ... atalog.pdf

Let us know if there are any language barriers to your quest.
(y)

Welcome to the site yes the Offy 2X 1v's and linkage kits are still made new. Check the below link for Exeter Auto Parts (In Calif.) is an old Offy dealer their catalog should answer your question on fit, I don't think there's any differance on the intake ports from 1954 to 1964. They are severial other brands can somtimes be found used if your not in a hurry however some people are asking more for these used ones then a new one costs so be carful. Best of luck on your 223 build up.

Exeter Auto Supply

Back