1960 F100 223 won't go over 45mph!

I have a 60 F100 with a straight 6 223 I bought back in September when it wasn't running, it is now - and it runs great acutally. I have rebuilt the top end, replaced the distributor, plugs and wires, generator, fuel lines, fluids etc...

The problem I am having is - for some reason I can't get it over 45mph. I am thinking it could be the carb, I had a buddy of mine rebuild it, but am not 100% sure it is tuned correctly.

Any thoughts? could this be the reason it is only going 45? Do you think it could be the vacuum? I have it timed right at 10 degrees advanced...

Any thoughts would be a huge help!

Thanks

Really not enough info to work off of.So,what trans,rear end ratio,tire size?
Also,you do know that some trucks were farm trucks and were geared to pull start farm equipment and not go to church back then.
Please remember that it's not a 427 SOHC.

Soldwithgold6":1x8n9y0k said:
I have a 60 F100 with a straight 6 223 I bought back in September when it wasn't running, it is now - and it runs great acutally. I have rebuilt the top end, replaced the distributor, plugs and wires, generator, fuel lines, fluids etc...

The problem I am having is - for some reason I can't get it over 45mph. I am thinking it could be the carb, I had a buddy of mine rebuild it, but am not 100% sure it is tuned correctly.

Any thoughts? could this be the reason it is only going 45? Do you think it could be the vacuum? I have it timed right at 10 degrees advanced...

Any thoughts would be a huge help!

Thanks

Yes it maybe the carb was it rebuilt to the factory specs? Also there could be issues with the LOD (Load O Matic) Distribitor advance system, the vacuum line hookup for it and or the SCV Spark Control Valve on the carburetor. To learn more how this unique advance system works see the below link. Also for a car / truck that sat unused for a long don't forget to check the fuel system and line from the fuel tank up to carb for blockage, at the tank pickup point, pin holes, or bad rubber fuel lines too. Also the muffler could be clogged up with crap. Good luck on your pickup. : (y) :nod:

The LOD Advance System
ci/Loadomatic.html

Hi, low fuel pressure and fuel level in the bowl usually causes engine surging at higher RPMs. Also could be the float is set too low. As mentioned, make sure the rubber lines are in good shape. Maybe there is an old filter you haven't found. If you have an air compressor you could GENTLY blow back from the fuel pump into the tank to make sure the line is clear. The old fuel pump test is to remove the line at the carb and see how long it takes to fill a coffee can while a helper cranks it over. Your fuel pump should fill a coffee can in less then 30 seconds
Check out the post on Small block six about a clogged exhaust. Any clogged or crushed exhaust could give the same problem. Good luck

Back