UncleLou55

Hello, My name is Bob and I live in Kansas. I am honoring my Uncle Lou who bought a new Crown Vic in 1956 and drove until the doors rusted off. Then He bought a 1955 Fairland Club Sedan from and estate. He was killed by a drunk driver shortly after that in early 90's. My cousin called two weeks ago and asked If I wanted to buy it which I am now the proud owner of this 1955. It has 36,500 actual miles with a I6 three on the tree. Even though it sit for about 11 years I have been able to get it started with carb clean and tune up. I have the tank out for cleaning and coating. My hope is to make an old school hot rod with split exhaust, new intake carb combination and new distributor. But I have along way to go. The original owner hit every corner of the 55 on her garage. also needs brakes and water pump. I will be reading the forms on this site to learn how to do and best way to do it. I am posting pictures of my beauty. Thanks

:beer: welcome to the site Bob, sounds like a fun build up on the 1955 Fairlane and will be a great tribute to your Uncle Lou. (y) :nod:

Thanks bubba. I have really enjoyed reading your comments and am envious of your knowledge on the vintage Ford sixes. Not sure why my pics did not show up.

Sorry about the pictures. I have tried posting and can't figure out why they don't show up. I go to attachment and add file the picture make it there but I don't know how to get them on the post. What can I say, I'm old! Help.....

Try using postimages.org
Photobucket charges for photo storage.
As of now they had a major breakdown due to a power failure. 99% of my images are on photobucket.
I hope they resolve the problem soon.

Here's something interesting:
Your car has the factory two-tone scheme in Neptune green (the base color) and Pinetree green on top and bottom.
In 1955 there were two colors used that were often mixed with metal-flake: Pinetree green and Banner blue.
My '55 Ford Fairlane 4-dr sedan came from the factory painted metal flake Banner blue, but by the time I got it, the car had been painted over (some years prior) with Banner blue (without the metal flake). It was faded, chalky and horrible looking. No amount of wax or buffing could fix this.
I started to strip mine down with sandpaper and found the original metal flake Banner blue underneath, which was also chalky and badly faded.
You may find that yours might have had the metal flake originally if you ever decide to repaint.
To my knowledge, there was no additional code on the VIN tag that indicated if the body color was mixed with metal flake or not.
Anyway, in the early '80's, I got hold of some dis-continued super-acrylic medium-blue enamel mixed with fine metal-flake real cheap. Although it was not as dark as the original Banner Blue, I liked the way it looked better. Sort of like gun-metal blue.
Not even a year later, drenched by scorching sun and all sorts of weather, my new paintjob looked as bad as the original Banner blue did. Again, fresh waxing and power buffing was no remedy.
Somewhere around '1992, I stripped it all off and went with Dupont Chroma-base enamel and topped it off with a quality clearcoat. All these years later now, it still looks like it was freshly painted yesterday.

Back