223 harmonic damper options?

GalaxieInline

I've hit a bit of a snag on my supercharged 223 project, I am needing a Damper for my engine with an 9 groove belt pulley built in.

I can find some V8 dampers that may work but I have a major question:

After speaking with both Immovators West and Langdons, they both advised me that Inline Sixs in general are harsh on dampers and need larger dampers with thicker rubber than V8s due to the higher torsional harmonics than a V8.

The 223 has a 1.250" crank snout diameter.
It appears that the 4.6 mod motor has the same diameter and they are available with overdrive supercharger pulleys built into the damper. I have read NOT to go with a fluid damper because they are incapable of damping the harmonics ar higher RPM and will result in shattered cranks.

ATI makes a damper for the 4.6 that will physically fit and do what I need it to do with a little modification, however, will it be enough harmonic damping for the 6? Will having the supercharger driven from the shell become an issue with rotational damage to the elastomer?

The reason for wanting to use a pulley style damper is it makes my mounting setup a ton easier to fabricate, as the timing cover will be being replaced by a front plate that will hold the procharger.

I've read other guys using V8 dampers on other 6s but I am unsure how long they have lived in that application, Langdon told me that a V8 damper would shred in no time on a 6 and that he had quite a bit of experience with it happening.

At least one of our site members is using the Innvators West balancer you might give them a call and see what they can build for you (see below link to their site info). Was wondering a few days ago how your 223 build was going glad to hear you have made go progress. Good luck (y) :nod:

Innovators West
https://innovatorswest.com

Do you happen to know which member that was? Was it the Bonneville truck? Innovators west didnt seem to have anything that would do what I needed, even when custom making one.

Not sure what the Bonneville truck uses on his 262. The site member using the innovators West balancer is Dose10's, he had one or possibly two custom made for his wife's 1963 Falcon with a 250 that's Turbo Charged. The 250's six'es though have the same front crankshaft snout size as a 289 / 302 SBF V8. (y) :nod:

Today I just found out about this Billet Steel Dampner that was available on John Mummert's Y Block site see picture in below link. Also available is one by Dayco (might be the same one?) it's part #PB119N it's made for the Y Block Fords 239, 254, 272, & 292 V8's and and will accept bolt on pulleys. This is the same era as the 223 and these Y Blocks also shared a few parts with the 223 so maybe it could work or be modded for use on your super charger project. The Y Blocks also have 1.250 crankshaft size and front oil seal size is a 2.620 see below links for Y Block crankshaft dimensions to compare with your 223 crankshaft. The above Dayco Dampener #PB119N is available at Summit and other places like Amazon. How are you doing on the build? Good luck :nod: (y)

Ford Y Block V8's Crankshaft Measurements
http://www.ford-y-block.com/crankshaftid.htm

Billet Ford Crankshaft Dampner
http://www.ford-y-block.com/damper-steel.htm

Back