Distributor curve for 223

chiefdave

I finally got the Clifford/Webber setup more or less dialed in at idle but had to bump the timing to 8 degrees BTDC. Vacuum is 19" which is OK but a bit short of the 22" the engine was pulling is stock trim. It's time to replace the LoadMatic and I've been unable to find a Mallory dual point so will have to go with an early 240/300 modified to fit. My question is what would be a good curve to set the modified distributor at? I'm old and set in my ways so want to stay with a points/condenser setup.

If anyone has a 223 Mallory with the 1/4" hex oil pump drive that they would be willing to let go of please let me know. I think it would be a YC or ZC 313A. Thanks, Dave.

I'm not aware of any distributor experts on here so I'll offer this suggestion. Contact Faron at fepower.net. He also posts an email address of TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com. He does a lot of FE distributors but also, other Fords. He may be able to help you re-curve your distributor or offer a suggestion for a more aggressive curve.

Lou Manglass

PM sent. You supply a clean distributor & i can recurve it for you.
This is from an old post.
However, you can mod a 74- 85 DSII distributor from a ford 300.
Either adapt the oil pump drive, or change oil pump to match dizzy. I just finished this in my 61 223, I changed out the oil pump to a 64 5/16ths drive pump..
Now I happened to have a 223 on an engine stand to dry run it, but it only took about an hour on my truck draining the oil, dropping the oil pan, swapping the oil pump, resealing the pan and adding oil. The pump uses two bolts to attach and the pickup tube another two bolts.
Now you can be a purest and use the ford module, but my research pointed towards the ford distributor being the best trigger, but the 4 pin gm module working best for the module. I also used the e coil out of a 85-97 4.6 v6.
How about a distributor from an earlier 240-300 points dist.??

Back