ELECTRONIC IGNITION CONVERSION

Ignacio223UY

Hi all.
First of all, I’m outside of the U.S, parts here in Uruguay are hard to find… So I’m looking in e-bay to buy.
I'm having troubles with my distributor of my 1956 Ford with the 223 CU. So I will be buying a reconditioned distributor in e-bay… Also I will be buying spark plugs (AUTOLITE A46) and Wire spark plugs of silicone of 8mm.
I want to upgrade the performance and gas consumes of my engine, but I can’t buy expensive things, because I have a limit of U$ 200 (Taxes and customs inspections)…
And I'm thinking to buy this electronic ignition conversion: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Ign ... 2592713663
(I don’t know how to attach pictures, and I don’t know if it’s allowed to attached links to e-bay, if it’s not allowed I’m so sorry).

What do you think about this “set up” of Autolite 46 spark plugs; “ACCEL 4021ACC” Spark wire cables of silicone of 8mm and the electronic ignition conversion?

Thank you so much for reading.

Regards.

Is a good plan. Have not heard of or used that brand of electronic ignistions, usally we use the Pertonix Kit it's been around for many years. Another way to get an electronic distrbitor is to swap in the Ford 300 (4.9L) six used in the F series pick up trucks, they work even better. Do they have them in your country? :nod:

bubba22349":1t3gnw7i said:
Is a good plan. Have not heard of or used that brand of electronic ignistions, usally we use the Pertonix Kit it's been around for many years. Another way to get an electronic distrbitor is to swap in the Ford 300 (4.9L) six used in the F series pick up trucks, they work even better. Do they have them in your country? :nod:

Thank you for your response! I have to modify something in my car to install that distributor?

I don't know if here there are those engines... but I will try to find them, or buy it in e-bay...

Thank you very much.

About all that's gets modded is to use the old 223 distribtor drive gear in place of the 300 distribtor drive gear so it fits correctly with the camshaft. If you decide to go that way try to get all the rest of the stock parts to. This is the DS II Distribtor, the factory wire harness, the DS II Coil, and the ICM box.

Here is an old post I did on wiring the DSII using all the stock Ford parts i.e. the DS II Distribitor, Blue stran relef DS II IGN Box, stock DS II coil and a factory wire harness.

There a number of ways to wire a DuraSpark II system (DSII) depending on how much rewiring of your car you want to do.

Here is how I did it on a number of early cars and trucks that is very simple and it keeps and uses all the car or trucks original wiring only adding one or two new wires. Also if you should ever want to return to the stock system it's easy to change back.

1. With the new DSII Distributor installed its 3 Wire socket pluggs into the DSII wire harnesses 3 wire plug and then you can start to route the DSII wire harness.

2. The Ignition Control Module (ICM) gets mounted to the inter fender panel and the DSII harness 4 wire plug goes into the ICM 4 wire socket. Some people run an extra ground wire to one of the mounting screws if the inter fender panel is made of metal it probally isn't nessisary but it won't hurt if you want to.

3. I used most all of the stock vehicle wiring including the Pink Resistor wire that goes to the Bat. Or + Side of the stock Ford coil. This Pink wire goes right into the DuraSpark II coils Red wire hooked up to the Battery or + side of the new DSII coil. Also the other wire coming from the I terminal ( for extra voltage when starting) of the starter solinod goes onto this same + Red wire.

4. The DSII horseshoe clip is made so that the Green wire coming out of the DSII wire harness plugs onto the Tach or the - side of the coil, so you just plug it on as is.

5. The ICM 2 wire plug socket is plugged into the 2 wire plug and has a Red and a White wire coming out of it. I ran a new wire connecting this Red wire and splicing it into the Pink wire about 2 or 3 inches under the dash behind the ignistion switch so it's before the Resistor in the Pink wire, I even used a Crimp On type Splice Connector so I didn't have to cut any of the orginal wiring harness. If you have a Volt / Ohm meter probe the wire there you are looking for at least a full 12 + volts with the Key on in the Run position as the ICM needs a full 12 volts to run correctly. This is all you really need to make it run and many people don't even bother to hookup the White wire. The White wire though is the Ignistion retard feature of the ICM and is a good idea to hookup. To do so just run a new wire connecting the White wire over to the S terminal of the starter solenoid and now your all done and can Enjoy all the benifits of the new DSII system. Good luck :nod: (y)

bubba22349":1dr6rj79 said:
About all that's gets modded is to use the old 223 distribtor drive gear in place of the 300 distribtor drive gear so it fits correctly with the camshaft. If you decide to go that way try to get all the rest of the stock parts to. This is the DS II Distribtor, the factory wire harness, the DS II Coil, and the ICM box.

Here is an old post I did on wiring the DSII using all the stock Ford parts i.e. the DS II Distribitor, Blue stran relef DS II IGN Box, stock DS II coil and a factory wire harness.

There a number of ways to wire a DuraSpark II system (DSII) depending on how much rewiring of your car you want to do.

Here is how I did it on a number of early cars and trucks that is very simple and it keeps and uses all the car or trucks original wiring only adding one or two new wires. Also if you should ever want to return to the stock system it's easy to change back.

1. With the new DSII Distributor installed its 3 Wire socket pluggs into the DSII wire harnesses 3 wire plug and then you can start to route the DSII wire harness.

2. The Ignition Control Module (ICM) gets mounted to the inter fender panel and the DSII harness 4 wire plug goes into the ICM 4 wire socket. Some people run an extra ground wire to one of the mounting screws if the inter fender panel is made of metal it probally isn't nessisary but it won't hurt if you want to.

3. I used most all of the stock vehicle wiring including the Pink Resistor wire that goes to the Bat. Or + Side of the stock Ford coil. This Pink wire goes right into the DuraSpark II coils Red wire hooked up to the Battery or + side of the new DSII coil. Also the other wire coming from the I terminal ( for extra voltage when starting) of the starter solinod goes onto this same + Red wire.

4. The DSII horseshoe clip is made so that the Green wire coming out of the DSII wire harness plugs onto the Tach or the - side of the coil, so you just plug it on as is.

5. The ICM 2 wire plug socket is plugged into the 2 wire plug and has a Red and a White wire coming out of it. I ran a new wire connecting this Red wire and splicing it into the Pink wire about 2 or 3 inches under the dash behind the ignistion switch so it's before the Resistor in the Pink wire, I even used a Crimp On type Splice Connector so I didn't have to cut any of the orginal wiring harness. If you have a Volt / Ohm meter probe the wire there you are looking for at least a full 12 + volts with the Key on in the Run position as the ICM needs a full 12 volts to run correctly. This is all you really need to make it run and many people don't even bother to hookup the White wire. The White wire though is the Ignistion retard feature of the ICM and is a good idea to hookup. To do so just run a new wire connecting the White wire over to the S terminal of the starter solenoid and now your all done and can Enjoy all the benifits of the new DSII system. Good luck :nod: (y)

Oh I see! That's a great update to the car! Nicely explain.
My problem, is my distributor: it's NOT in very good shape, the plate where the points are bolt in, it wiggles and spins a bit (Sorry, I don't know if I'am using the correct words) So, I don't know if I will be able to use the old 223 distribtor drive gear...

One thing to also note is that the above Distribtor also requires you change out the .1/4 inch drive oil pump to the later 1964 pump with its bigger 5/16 inch oil pump drive shaft to match up with the DuraSpark Distributors hex shaft. So this may make it not wroth it if you don't want to go inside the engine. :nod:

The 223 Distribors can usally be rebuilt wear is usally located in the upper shaft bushing and sometimes the shaft which are still available. :nod:

bubba22349":i6jbvdcm said:
One thing to also note is that the above Distribtor also requires you change out the slotted drive oil pump drive to the later 1964 oil pump with its bigger 5/16 inch hex pump drive shaft to match up with the DuraSpark II Distributors hex shaft. So this may make it not wroth it if you don't want to go inside the engine. :nod:

It's not my idea go inside the engine... I'm looking to something cheap and nice to improve the engine. My worry is about the gas consume and the possibility to don't use points or condensator, because here are also difficult to find, and the points I find are not of pretty good quality

You said you guys usually use the Pertronix Kit for electronic ignition conversion... Can you please recommend me one in ebay?
Thank you very much.

Ok here is a listing for the PerTroix I MFP Number 1266 these are suppose to fit from 1949 to 1965 six cylinder engines (you can also check their web site. Most people also get their Blaster coil to go with them for a hotter spark.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pertronix-Elec ... xyxU1Q38Lr

The Distribtor looks good and will work. Best of Luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":mw2m47qb said:
Ok here is a listing for the PerTroix I MFP Number 1266 these are suppose to fit from 1949 to 1965 six cylinder engines (you can also check their web site. Most people also get their Blaster coil to go with them for a hotter spark.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pertronix-Elec ... xyxU1Q38Lr

The Distribtor looks good and will work. Best of Luck (y) :nod:

Thank you very much for all that info!
I will be updating when I have my car running again!

Regards!

Ignacio223UY":1g3vpnmg said:
Lazy JW":1g3vpnmg said:
Read up on cheap alternatives here.

http://www.gofastforless.com/

Thank you very much!

I will evaluate to buy this "hot-spark" or the "Pertronix" electronic ignition.
I will post when my car is running again.

You are most welcome. Knowledge is power, and even if you choose to not use anything mentioned on that web site, I believe it will help you to be better informed and able to make the best choice for your application in your locale.
Joe

Based upon your spending limit of $200, you may need to buy a used distributor on e-bay, but it may need rebuilding as well, so why not just take yours out and replace upper shaft bearing.
Alternative, Mac's antique auto parts is offering remanufactured '55-'59 Ford 223 distributors for $133.99 + $50.00 Core fee = $183.99 and you must send in your old distributor for exchange, then they send you back your $50.00 core fee. See www.MacsAutoParts.com.
I have heard bad things about the rebuilt distributors. Many places send them off to Cardone and their quality is BAD.
Now for electronic ignition under $200. You may need to order a pertronix ignitor, but I WOULD NOT. I had one in my '55 Ford Courier sedan delivery wagon with 223 and it lasted about a month. They have been making those things in china and the quality is very bad. MANY people here are having trouble with the Pertronix ignitors.
For the spark plugs, I would go with the Motorcraft equivalent of what you have. They are around $3.00 each.
Macs also sells Motorcraft replacement spark plug wire sets for the 223. Part # ESPZ-12259-MR. $41.99/set. Those are for original style Motorcraft or equivalent spark plugs.

Back