Road draft tube on a '62 223

chiefdave

I'm putting an Offenhauser valve cover on the 223 in my '62 F100. When I knocked the freeze plug out to install a road draft tube I discovered that the block, casting # C1AE-6015-K, is not drilled and tapped for the draft tube mounting bolt. I really don't care to drill and baffle the cover for a PCV valve so I've got 2 ideas,

1. the tube mounting flange is a slight interference fit into the hole so maybe a high temp sealant would work. The tube has a support bracket that is held in place by an oil pan bolt that would help keep it rigid.

2. drill a freeze plug to accept a PCV valve.

I'm looking for opinions if either of these would work or better ideas . Thanks, Dave.

chiefdave":2s3iz5sc said:
I'm putting an Offenhauser valve cover on the 223 in my '62 F100. When I knocked the freeze plug out to install a road draft tube I discovered that the block, casting # C1AE-6015-K, is not drilled and tapped for the draft tube mounting bolt. I really don't care to drill and baffle the cover for a PCV valve so I've got 2 ideas,

1. the tube mounting flange is a slight interference fit into the hole so maybe a high temp sealant would work. The tube has a support bracket that is held in place by an oil pan bolt that would help keep it rigid.

2. drill a freeze plug to accept a PCV valve.

I'm looking for opinions if either of these would work or better ideas . Thanks, Dave.

Is the road draft tube block boss open into the crankcase? Dose it have a place to drill and tap it?

Here is my suggestion, mount the PCV valve to the intake manifold or with a plate under the carb base to get your vacuum source, Isn't your stock PCV hook up routed something like that?. Hook up the other end so that it can go over to the road draft tube boss to draw the contaminates from the engines crankcase, the Falcon system below used a rubber grommet for that line conection. I don't know what parts you have from the orginal PCV system many of the could be reused your idea on cut a hole in the freeze plug to fit the line grommet is a good one too. You can use an open type oil fill / breather cap on the valve cover hole, your original breather oil filer cap may already be the right type cap, if not there are several black, chrome, and custom type caps that are. If the air cleaner your going to use has a hose fitting hook up on the base then you can also use a oil cap / breather with the hose fitting to conect it to the air cleaner so the crankcase can drawn in fresh filtered air. In the below video you can see this type of PCV system hook up that Ford used on the 1962 Falcon 144 six engines it should work great on your 223 also.

1962 Falcon 144 PCV System and Parts
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uK0wCX ... 64JFw/view

One other thing on the soft plug hook up you can get a hose fitting to use these are threaded in (NIP) iron pipe and if you goe to your locale hardware look in the ridged electrical parts section they will have thin flange type nuts that are also this same (NIP) pipe thread. Put some silicone sealer around the fitting and opening install the soft plug so that the flat side is to the outside to give the most room on the internal side. :nod:

Chief Dave, what did you decide to do? I posted about something similar involving my late dad's 1959 Ford F100. It has a California PCV Retrofit kit, mandated in 1966 for 1950-60 California vehicles not factory equipped with PCV Valves. 1961 and later California model vehicles came with PCV Valves.

Back