Head swapping?

Colonel Flashman

Some time back I swapped a 170c.i. head onto a 200c.i. block & had great performence & luck w/ it.

What is the Possibilty of doing the same thing w/ a 215 c.i. Head onto a 223 c.i. Block?
Will everything inside (in & outlets,etc) & outside (bolt holes, etc.) Mate Up?

I did this originally on the 200 c.i. block to avoid milling the 170 c.i. head. I got just as much of a jump on the Compression Ratio doing this as I would have if I had milled the 200 c.i. head.

This is why I would like to know, I prefer avoiding Extra expences if I am able.

Thank'ee

you should be able to get the head gasket and see if all the holes match, if not then you'll know that you'll have to do some extra work

there is prolly more stuff you can do, but that one just jumped out at me

good luck, keep us informed

You won't gain anything by doing this swap. Although the bolt patterns are the same, the intake ports and valves are smaller and you could hide a sandwich in the combustion chamber of the 215.
Using the head from a 58 or 61 would be your best bet. Those heads had a CR of 8.6:1, the highest of the 223 series. If you want higher you'll have to open up the old wallet.

W.M.

Thank'ee!

What about putting a '61 223 I-6 on a '64 262 I-6? Possible.
The head is gone on the 262 I-6 & hard to find, need something to put on it.
Any & all help is appreciated.

wisconsinmike":3p4ucyy0 said:
You won't gain anything by doing this swap. Although the bolt patterns are the same, the intake ports and valves are smaller and you could hide a sandwich in the combustion chamber of the 215.
Using the head from a 58 or 61 would be your best bet. Those heads had a CR of 8.6:1, the highest of the 223 series. If you want higher you'll have to open up the old wallet.

It may be doable but all I know about the 262 is that it takes the same overhaul gasket set as the 215-223.

Back