Cheap Preformance

Moderator: Mod Squad

Richardfist

Cheap Preformance

Post #1 by Richardfist » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:51 pm

Hello, I'm a high school student and have just received my grandfather's old '93 f150 and It is a little sluggish for me, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to expel some of your knowledge on these engines to give it a little more oomph (a rear diff recommendation would be great because mine is a little iffy)
New old truck is best truck

Haywood

Re: Cheap Preformance

Post #2 by Haywood » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:36 am

355 is a nice gear, not so low as to have it screaming at highway speeds, not so high that you have to work hard to break it loose from a standstill. That's all relative, tire size counts into the overall ratio. Limited slip is always a plus, if you can find it, low miles also a plus, no point in replacing it with one as worn as the one you're pulling out.

arse_sidewards

Post #3 by arse_sidewards » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:35 am

Read and understand basically everything on this forum before you turn a wrench. Knowing what you're doing is far better than being spoon fed advice and blindly following it.

You have 150hp in a 5000lb truck. It's not gonna drive like a car.

If 2wd get the rear axle, front beams and driveshaft from a F250 or F350 with the full float axle and the same wheelbase and transmission. It's a bolt-in 8-lug swap.

When you swap axles throw a lunchbox locker in the rear (single best mod I did to my '94).

Read the FAQ. It will probably answer your questions.

I agree on 3.55s being a good gear. I wouldn't pass up an axle with 3.73 or 4.10 if you have the E4OD.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft EEC-IV
-460 rocker arm Guinea Pig: 3rd world quality "file to fit" machining

-exhaust leak that sounds like a bucket of playing cards being fed into the radiator fan
-66" leafs ('11 Superduty), extended radius arms.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #4 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 am

If you are like I was as a teen, funds are quite limited. So try to do the things that don't require lots of money. The exhaust system is a good place to start. I like Flowmaster SERIES 50 mufflers for their breathing ability but not deafening noise. Resist the temptation to strip away any emission devices. In fact, study up on how the EEC system controls all aspects of engine / transmission function and make sure everything is up to snuff in spec. Don't overlook things like tire pressure, alignment, and aero improvements. "Bug deflectors", sun visors, and the like are horrible for fuel mileage and will generally cost several mpg, as will any "sticky uppie" protuberances like off road driving lights on the roof. A tonneau cover for the bed will help the aero, and tires with a closed tread save gas. Monster tires hurt fuel economy, performance, braking ability, and resale value big time. All that plus a little custom paint or graphics will let everyone know you take pride in your ride. Good luck.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING