Available heads

Moderator: Mod Squad

brandoncw

Available heads

Post #1 by brandoncw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Just out of curiosity is there any crossflow heads for a 300 6 or would you still have to chop up a bunch of v8 heads to make one then fabricate exhaust and intake manifolds to go with it.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Re: Available heads

Post #2 by woodbutcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:30 am

:hmmm: That about sums it up in a nutshell.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

jason832

Post #3 by jason832 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:38 pm

To put it simply, you will be stuck with factory heads. There is the carbed 300, efi 300 and the 240 head.

They all suck by today's standards... Hopefully that aftermarket head will be made at some point.

brandoncw

Post #4 by brandoncw » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:05 pm

jason832 wrote:To put it simply, you will be stuck with factory heads. There is the carbed 300, efi 300 and the 240 head.

They all suck by today's standards... Hopefully that aftermarket head will be made at some point.

Damn. So if you want a good head you have to have deep pockets to buy some v8 heads, spend a ton of money to have a machine shop cut and fuse together into one 300 head then spend even more money to have intake and exhaust made. which all that is very impractical unless you want some crazy radicle drag car. I've heard there is an aluminum head available but haven't heard much about it.

pmuller9

Post #5 by pmuller9 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:21 pm

The stock head can be made to flow enough to make a 300+ hp street engine.
Best intake port flow is just over 200 cfm @ .600 valve lift.

The LS1 or LS3 Chevy heads have the same intake and exhaust sequence as the Ford 300 six and can be pieced together to fit.
The LS3 head can be made to flow near 350 cfm.

The 300 six has a 50 cid cylinder and is equivalent to a 400 cid V8.
A 300 cfm crossflow head on a 300 six would by no means be radical and would make a great street/strip engine.

The only aluminum head that was available was made by Alan Johnson Performance Engineering.
It was a billet head for racing only and was near $10K back in the day.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #6 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:16 am

brandoncw wrote:Damn. So if you want a good head you have to have deep pockets to buy some v8 heads, spend a ton of money to have a machine shop cut and fuse together into one 300 head then spend even more money to have intake and exhaust made.

Don't forget the custom cam and valvetrain and fuel system to support it. The last time I ran the numbers to do one, bearing in mind that I do have some machine shop, welding, and fabricating skills, it was going to cost me in excess of $20,000 to do one right.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #7 by woodbutcher » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:07 pm

:?: What ever happened to the 300 ci aluminum head that Mike was developing when he passed?
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

brandoncw

Post #8 by brandoncw » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:18 pm

pmuller9 wrote:The stock head can be made to flow enough to make a 300+ hp street engine.
Best intake port flow is just over 200 cfm @ .600 valve lift.

The LS1 or LS3 Chevy heads have the same intake and exhaust sequence as the Ford 300 six and can be pieced together to fit.
The LS3 head can be made to flow near 350 cfm.

The 300 six has a 50 cid cylinder and is equivalent to a 400 cid V8.
A 300 cfm crossflow head on a 300 six would by no means be radical and would make a great street/strip engine.

The only aluminum head that was available was made by Alan Johnson Performance Engineering.
It was a billet head for racing only and was near $10K back in the day.

i undertand you can milk alot of power out of the six with stock heads. And i know it takes more than a head to make an engine "radical". Im just saying if i were to build a radial 300 i would want a crossflow head.

pmuller9

Post #9 by pmuller9 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:10 pm

brandoncw wrote:I undertand you can milk alot of power out of the six with stock heads. And i know it takes more than a head to make an engine "radical". Im just saying if i were to build a radial 300 i would want a crossflow head.

Would you be interested in a cross flow head if one was available?

Superbum

Post #10 by Superbum » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:46 pm

Me X2. If the cost ea was under $2500 bare.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #11 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:58 am

brandoncw wrote:... if i were to build a radial 300 i would want a crossflow head...

Speaking of radial 300s I wonder what became of the fellow who was going to put one in a bi-plane?
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #12 by xctasy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:......
Don't forget the custom cam and valvetrain and fuel system to support it. The last time I ran the numbers to do one, bearing in mind that I do have some machine shop, welding, and fabricating skills, it was going to cost me in excess of $20,000 to do one right.

You all have gotta think with the right head....

Yeah, that's the start up cost of patterning a 500 a year build of aluminum heads. When Mike W (AzCoupe) was alive he quoted me U$ 20 K for the Yella Terra/ CHI patterns for the little 200/250 head. addo confirmed this. That gave him ownership of the core boxes, design, and gave him the option of then casting the heads in the USA.

The compliance cost for casting is expensive in the USA, but anywhere else its cast, it will not have protection, and the castings can end up being made by anyone.

IMHO, An existing US casting is the right first option.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:Ford's NASCAR V6 4.5L heads are a much better starting point.

SVO 4.5 90 Essex V6 (Canted valve 1986-1988 pre 1989 heads, ie the Cosworth Engineering under part number E6 to E8 ZM 6049 E380 or the totally new non canted valve Brodix cast head under part number E9 ZM 6049 J380 head for post 1989)

or Chevy R07-08-09 V8 heads.

Both are equals in terms of hp per dollar based on my last 3 months of research.

I'd say they'd both be neck and neck, but both eliminate cam and major intake changes because they already have stub intake runners from the V6 or V8 heads. They miss the labor intensity of the LS head cut and shut.

ImageImage

Just two 4500 Dominator "splits" or two 2300 "650 cfm" Holley 2-bbls will make way more than a NASCAR 4bbl or EFI system.

worken2much wrote:Enough waiting & enough discussion

Chevy R07-08-09 heads are blind alley development heads in 11.5 degree intake valve angle and 7.5 degree exhaust valve angle form. 4.50" bore spacing, six bolt head.

The SVO AJ heads required a special SVO block with bolts repiteched to suit SBF head patterns. The details and costs for the Ford SVO or rewelded Yates A3 SVO heads are very cost inducing. The R07-08-09's, its easier, especially when you see the pick-up cost is now 1/6th of the price they were in 2011. Four active bolts are needed without any block cylinder bolt repitching. Compared to the LS Chevy, its much easier, much cheeper, and they are practically a dry deck design.

All worken2much's data is 100% bang on.

https://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/b ... s-so-cheap
November 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Shawn Anderson wrote:I keep seeing R07 Chevy stuff on ebay cheep, I know they are there own bore spacing but have read that Dart is making a block for 4.5 bore centers Chevy stuff. I have seen a few sets of heads for stupid cheap and some more complete ones for $2,500 still seems low.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14496&start=100
worken2much wrote:There is a Nascar aluminum head currently available that lends itself to modifying onto a 300. Do a google on Nascar R07 heads.

A few intriguing features are:

1) Close bore spacing of 4.5" c/c. The 300 is 4.48"
2) They don't fit existing sbc stuff so nobody wants them, consequently are very affordable. The guy that's helping me with flow bench work on my two piece head bought a pair off of E-bay for $400 with valves & springs.
3) They have six head bolt holes. The holes at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock would simply be abandoned, the remaining four line up to the 300 block without modification.
4) The valve order is changed from standard sbc & matches the 300. No custom cam is required.
5) Valves are huge, valve stems are only 6mm. Flow numbers will be more than 95%, of our motors can take advantage of. I'd suspect some REDUCTION in port size will be needed to make them effective on all but the most extreme 300's...the ones that play above 6 - 7,000 rpm.

Somebody grab a pair & get after it. Enough waiting & enough discussion.

Worken2much
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

pmuller9

Post #13 by pmuller9 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm

The next 300 six I build will be for me and would like to have 450 naturally aspirated hp by 6000 rpm as a street engine only. No power adders
That means I need a head that flows over 300 cfm at .600" lift so I have a vested interest in this subject.
Thinking seriously about a Factory Five 33 coupe.

So looking at the R07 heads;
Correct valve sequence, Bore spacing within .020" and 4 of the head bolt locations work. Will only need two sections and one splice.
Obstacles:
The heads are designed for a 4.185" bore and may have valve to cylinder wall issues.
I also don't want the chambers larger than the 300 cylinder bore.
It will be expensive to have low ratio rockers made. Not interested in trying to make 2.2 ratio rockers work.
The intake pushrod is at an extreme angle both outward and to the side as it goes from the 300 lifter to the R07 rocker arm.
The pushrods also extend beyond the confines of the 300 block.

LS3 heads have the correct valve sequence.
LS3 Head flows better than the LS1 and have rectangular ports rather than the LS1 Cathedral ports.
The LS3 heads are within .080" bore spacing and will require 3 sections with 2 splices to fit the 300.
Side note: The LS1 was made to fit with only 2 sections because the chambers are smaller and stayed within the 300 bore with the offset.
The LS3 chambers are designed for a 4.065" bore and will work with a 4.030" bore 300.
The pushrods stay within the lifter gallery and you can use the stock 300 cover.
LS3 roller rockers are an off the shelf item with the usual choice of ratios.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #14 by xctasy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 am

:hmmm: :thanks: :nod:

I haven't compared exactly the dimensions like you may have. Road maps to these engines are based on the nauce and smarts of the engine builders. A quick Paint Cut and paste does show a heck of a lot of ledging with R07/8/9'S and SVO E8/E9'S.

Its a little like playing Pokemon, or having a V8 horsepower piddling contest. Raising another conceptual challange to an established one outside the relams of budget or possiblity scuppers lots of thinking within the square.

I like the LS head swap, but its the carbs and mixture motion, and ledging that I don't like. It lookes cool as heck with three 2300 Holley 2-bbls, but its a badly matched combo. The good old boys used three 302 Z28 Cross Ram carbs with 12 bbls to get enough venturi area. But the basic engineering is sound, and the concept is very smart, and the road map established. And cost is down there.

https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=4014

swaptastic wrote:Also, the block has to be notched to clear the push rods and the push rod/lifter cover plate has to be modified to seal everything up. He started with stock rocker arms with a trunnion kit and adjustable push rods but the push rods would not stay tight at high RPM. Switched to 1 piece push rods and Competition cams adjustable roller rockers with 1.8:1 ratio. The push rod holes in the heads have to be opened up for clearance as well. This is definitely not a “bolt on” project but the only machining he subbed out was the machining of the adjoining head surfaces and then he had the head surfaced after epoxying them together. Everything else was done with a die grinder, a drill press, and his 40 year old hack saw.

The way the water flows and how the whole head sits and the chambers, well, the chambers are smaller, and the 12 and 6 o'clock bolts are redundant. Essentially, its like dry decking a head without a head gasket.

Its the same with the SVO 4.5 Liter Essex 90....these heads are down to 57 cc after porting, just like the canted valve Boss 302's, 335's, (the Clevelands and A3's). Nothing really new since those Mystery Motor Chev copies, only a flatter "porcupine" head with a lot less volume. Same even with the Lima"385" 370/429/460 heads...and thats close to where the power is in 8 cylinder engines....perhaps not for in line sixes and V6's which seam to love open runner single planes with more than one barrel per two cylinders.

After you've gotten your elected head set up, you then have to feed it.

Other thoughts.

Anyway, I can confirm your thoughts about valve and pushrod ledging, but not chamber size...NASCAR has pulled in the cheats on that, and made the castings the chamber delimiter, the pistons are still SVO A3 style from way back when, although the Chevy versions have kept away from the spark plug spark channel like the pre Roush Yates engines had.

All the LS3 has plenty of mixture motion; the head is not a performance piece like the NASCAR and old V6 engines were. But 300 cfm is possible with a little porting, and thouse heads are all about giving Drive Train engineers options to CNC port and trade off chanber volume for 4.8/5.3/5.7 and the later 6.2 and bigger engines, always part of the plan in the early 90's when these engines were minted. As Windsor/Cleveland 9.5" deck copies in aluminum. The V6 went back to the 1982 Essex 90 flat wedge head concept, just like Chevy did. Ford did it first in 1989 with the 4.5; I guess the evidence from Cosworths heads showed that in V6's, there was probably a risk of ruining main bearings and rod bearings in a 4 main bearing engine under a lot more stress than a 358 NASCAR engine.

In a seven bearing 300, maybee not an issue.

A split 4-bbl (two 2-bbls) on and I6 might like a flatter non canted valve head due to the way a six has its cylinder pulses. Independent runners, well they need really big carb venturis, and a 650 2-bbl isn't nearly enough at even 1-7/16" (1.4375" or 36.5 mm just isn't enough to bring the power peak over 4400 rpm with a 300 cube engine, triple 500 4412's, 1-3/8", or 34.9 mm, thats 4200 rpm peak.)

The non Independent Runner, non Port on Port system is often better as it doesn't restrict the power peak rpm....cams grinds for non IR/non POP are dead easy, because they are just like 4-bbl restrictor plate NASCAR grinds. LeMans 427's and many of the Boss engines did better as non IR set ups than really big a$$ed twin 4bbl 4500's.
Last edited by xctasy on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmuller9

Post #15 by pmuller9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 am

Good information!

The aftermarket LS3 heads can be made to flow in excess of 350 cfm.

I only need a 10:1 compression ratio so with LS3 chamber volumes around 70cc pistons will have a dish.

I would be going the EFI route rather than carburetors.
Since this would be a show and go vehicle, stack injection always presents well.
There are plenty of stack intake systems out there for the LS if you don't mind a slight upward angle.

Suggestions?

arse_sidewards

Post #16 by arse_sidewards » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:40 am

The key issue here is demand and we should be doing as much as we can to increase demand. The costs are so high because the unit count is so low. It's the same problem that drives up the price of Offy intakes but the effect is even worse with a head. If we focus on the consumer and tailor the design where possible to make it easy for the end user we can (hopefully) get more end users and a much lower cost per unit. Having a design for what would be a modern top of the line head doesn't do any good if we can't move enough units to keep the cost reasonable. The perfect is the enemy of the good and all that jazz.

In lieu of that I think that we should be figuring out how to make the total cost of putting a head on a 300 as low as possible. It should be as close to a bolt in as possible. The casting should allow the use of a stock valve cover. You should be able to use two right side V6 headers/manifolds. We should know exactly which spark plug wires you need so that the shade tree guy doesn't have to think, he can just order up the right wires on Rockauto. Your average mullet wearin', sister bangin', trailer livin' Chevy 350 enthusiast should be able to order up a 300-head and the associated parts out of a catalog (or scrounge up manifolds and wires at the junkyard) and bolt it on without looking at the directions. Being expensive is easier to stomach if the product is easy to put into use.

I think the only part that we should be designing should be the head itself. Everything that attaches to the head should be compatible with fairly common OEM parts from somewhere. Nothing is stopping us from making our own headers and intakes but few people can do that. IMO it doesn't make sense to design a head that can't be used without fabrication work because so few people can do that work and even fewer are willing to pay someone else to do that work for something with six cylinders.

The hard part is balancing the design features required for a 300-head to be a seamless fit among a hodgepodge of OEM parts. Even if using a bunch of off the shelf bolt-ons neuters the performance potential it still leaves the door open for people who want to get the most out of the head to do so.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft EEC-IV
-460 rocker arm Guinea Pig: 3rd world quality "file to fit" machining

-exhaust leak that sounds like a bucket of playing cards being fed into the radiator fan
-66" leafs ('11 Superduty), extended radius arms.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #17 by woodbutcher » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am

:hmmm: Back in post #7 I inquired about the head that Mike was developing for the 300 ci when he passed.Have`nt got a reply yet.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #18 by xctasy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 pm

woodbutcher wrote::hmmm: Back in post #7 I inquired about the head that Mike was developing for the 300 ci when he passed.Have`nt got a reply yet.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Matt Cox did do some work on locating the cores for the Aluminum head 300. Its bascially a Hemi 245/265 head in alloy since the D series Mopar in line six was a 4.46" borespacing LA engine in design. CHI in Australia did the pattern work for Mike W. There was a lot of fettling to do; the cores were complete, but needed another revision.

#129 by matcox83 » Thu Jun 16, 2016

matcox83 wrote:Guys, I know where the patterns are. I'm trying to get them and the small six patterns as well. I bought the remainder of the Classic Inlines inventory and have it on my new website http://www.vintageinlines.com. I am trying to offer everything Mike did. You're talking tens of thousands of dollars to develop patterns unless you are able to do it yourself. I have the carb adapters, distributors etc that Mike carried.

(It was wrongly reported in 1990 in the Australian Hot Sixes publication by Tim Britten in a Mike Stacey interview that the 245 Hemi was a planned Dodge truck engine, but it certainly wasn't. https://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/h ... rview.html

It was a Pete Hagenbuch/ Highland Park engine, designed as a 245 engine, 100% US. Pete then handed the engine over to Mike Stacey, who did the 215, 265 and Six Pack Hemi E37/38/48/49'S. Its an 18 degree wedge with canted valves making it a polyspheric engine like the old 313.

Hagenbuch's group did the performance development; he practically did the lot of it himself. It was designed because Australia was getting into racing and the 3.965" inch piston average bore spacing tall deck 225 just didn’t cut it. The 225 was never meant to be a race engine).

The issue with the Classic Inlines 300 casting cores is that it has the non cross flow layout, and its costs, might limit it on a features basis. Remember, the cost of cutting one head and making it drive can be offset by having someone do the casting cores in the USA.

CNC-dude knows the options....the real issue is that all aftermarket castings have been outsourced since 2008 due to the GFC and the EPA and labor cost issues. Hopefully, an America First philosphy will help open up some options. I favour outsourcing, it shares the trade defficate pie around developing nations, but I don't like the idea that designs get pirated when made in China. In terms of castings, they do a good job.

I love the late Vic Edelbrock approach, but casting is costly in the USA, and the problem isn't the cost, its the design.

40 grand of start up casting costs would be amortised through every 1965 to 1996 F truck that had a 300.

Thankfully, Ford truck sales have always been stratospheric. From the Forth Generation F100 to Ninth Generation F150/250/350, I think thats 6 million of the 240 or 300/4.9 engines, not including E lines and F 600/700 trucks and buses and US Mail Vans and Airline cargo and plane Tugs.

There from 1960 to 1983, about 20 million small 144/170/200/250 sixes, but they were unibody generally, and a higher % age of the 300's are still out there in farms doing yeomans duty. Not just hay making.

CNC Dude and I had a lot of discussions on the ideal head format; like him, I really like the Duggan/ Sissel down flow, non cross flow heads, and the cost of making 350 cfm two valve per cylinder heads is not much when you look at the history of these awesome 9000 rpm, 9 second 300 cube engines in US and Australian drag racing and oval track history. Kirby-Sissel and Sissel Racing Heads make 4.4" bore spacing 12 port non cross flows and the smaller 4.08" bore sacing Holden J Zello/ Phil Irving Yella Terra head still makes over 400 hp on a 202 six today. I won't link CNC Dude stuff from the hAMBERS or Jallopy Journal again. I learned me last time.... Frank Duggan sold all his stuff to Kay Sissell, and the resuls speak for themselves.

Those old 292 Chevy heads could go to 349 cfm and make 600 hp (and more!) with roller cam lift figures you would sware were a lie.

Alloy Duggan/Sissel heads, over that with ease

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/292-che ... 433-2.html
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... 248/page-4
"Copyright © 1995-2013 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy."

I like FTF's ideas, and suggest the best option is to go cross flow, and then the years old 1993 to 2016 OHC I-6 Aussie Falcon 243 cube 4 liter EFI system can be cut and shut to use any carb or EFI system. Its really only a case of adding 400 thou of aluminum between the inlet tracts. They started off at 210 hp, and ended up at 275 hp. Turboed, (before they ditched the system, it got up to 360 hp or so.

Everything fits EDIS, TFI, EECIV, EECV, and most EECV generations before 2003 skip OBDII. The intsake runners have a switchback to suit the F150 4.9 air box.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #19 by xctasy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 pm

I wnet away, and re looked at the air flow mateers.

If Matt Cox can confirm that he has a working core box, then the Aluminum head can stay non cross flow, and it can be productionised.

If Matt has done the VI versions of the Aluminum small six, then that is enough to sustain the momentum from the small six head. I guess 200 head sales in 10 years is proof postive that there is a market. Everyone has loved them, and people go ga ga.

The basic Small Six head is sound, cored in Australia, flow develped in the USA, and now US made, and proven not to have porosity problems, the bane of every alloy head. So the productionization has happened. :beer: :nod: :wow:

The Big Six head Matt Cox now has comes with....

the

1. right material,

2. a prototype, and

3. core boxes.

In Australia, they used to CNC machine the old iron heads, and get a 20% air flow boost, and that was good for a whole new range of sedan racing cars for the next 20 years from 1970 to 1990. Then, they went alloy, and those are the heads people use on Holden sixes.

So if its paid for, I think we should consider arse_sidewardsidea about growing the market.

Air flow is most of the solution to performance but a huge proportion is moving from a restrictive inlet system to a better one. The EFI 4.9 gave great dobbs of torque to the 300. The head will give light weight, and add power. I'd guess it wouldn't create any smog issues.

For me, if its paid for by the late Mike W, then we'd be nuts not to consider a non cross flow "alloy-uminum" head.

Turbos, MegaSquirts and blowers beckon.....

People seam to like

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #20 by woodbutcher » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:03 am

:D Hi X.Thanks for the reply.I had forgotten about Matt having the core boxes for the 300 head.Guess I`m starting to get some of the"CRS"syndrome at times :rolflmao: .
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #21 by xctasy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

woodbutcher wrote::D Hi X.Thanks for the reply.I had forgotten about Matt having the core boxes for the 300 head.Guess I`m starting to get some of the"CRS"syndrome at times :rolflmao: .
Leo

Lol, its all good. I Can Remember SH!+, but its "Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited " failures over the last 15 years, and peoples desire to run with FaceBook messenger that screw over any chance of easily finding the pictures and links that have been lost since 2001 on this topic.

I know FTF's cross flow iron head conversion 300 head has issues, but I for one would love to reverse the original reversed cross flow head.

"THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER" disliked this ready to run head as a production item because it had some issues as the original fully fettled versions were destroyed under the normal XE code casting Fo MoCo practice, and all Ford techies have been in the past on retainer to Ford...but its what I like about an aluminum X flow head basic 101 design....

Again he clearly stated why he favoured the E8 and E9 svo 4.5 liter heads.

Point is that the stock aluminum 300 head core boxes are done, so how about a modification to amortise the costs by following the advice of TFTF, BUT on the stock aluminum 300 head.

Real hard core welders can do a real hardcore SVO V6 head "lace-together" or the 6bangerbill Chevy LS3 method

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53911&p=500364#p500364
inline300 wrote:These pictures show the tight fit of a big ford six into a 63 falcon or ranchero. This is a serius undertaking. You can see the fender braces have been removed and the firewall still needs hamering, and the front crossmember needs notching to move the radiator farward about 1/2 inch. The ford water pump has the pully flange pressed back and its shaft shortened about 3/4 inch. It requires a modified pully to line up with the lower chevy pully. I had to remove the crank damper (ATI super damper) to be able to lower the engine into the area between firewall and radiator support. All in all it fits like a glove.

nb// Links gone know, xctasy

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/11.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/12.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/13.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/14.jpg

The third picture shows the modified AOD transmission and fabricated mount. Not shown are the mods to the upper part of the cross member. Note that the engine is move back untill the speedometer cable cleares the mount.

The first picture is the mods needed for the intake rear manifold to clear the brake master cylinder. The hole will be welded closed and will reduce the plenum volume. I wanted 75% of cylinder volume but ........ its just a street rod anyway. The last picture illustrates the limited area at the brake master cylinder.

The second picture is of a set of sb2 step- try-wy stainless headers that will be modified to fit the wrong side of the engine. I would not enjoyed the challenge of mounting them on the busy side.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/21.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/22.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/23.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/24.jpg

My heart almost failed when the engine was first lowered into the engine bay. nothing was going to fit!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/31.jpg

These Pictures Show the weld quality.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/41.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/42.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/43.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/in ... RAP/44.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ds.983152/
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:The 300 crossflow head was an experimental prototype. Ford never put it into production, instead electing to go with a V6....

viewtopic.php?t=25296
82F100SWB wrote:Very interesting, I left them full sized due to the rather large interest in these heads:

Looks to be the same as FTF's heads, exhaust ports are shaped the same.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:I'll tell you what I know about this head:

1. It was not designed for a multi-fuel UPS head. It was designed because Ford was having high injector warranty because the injectors were so close to the exhaust manifolds that they cooked when a hot engine was shut off. Ford ultimately put a squirrel cage blower and manifolding on the injectors using the U-flow head instead to solve the problem.

Oh, and then the idiots came out with a V6 truck engine. Ho Humm.

2. In their stock state the exhaust side is a bunch better than the Uflow but the intake is not that great...

...which leads to

3. Due to a design flaw there is not enough iron behind the valve seats to install larger valves. If you reach into the bannana cooling holes at the rear of the head with your pinky finger you can gage what I am talking about. Heads I've measured have only .080" thickness in this critical area, with stock 1.78 valves.

So if you are awaiting the coming Messiah OF BB6 heads I am sorry to report that this ain't it.

But there is good news. Earlier versions of this prototype, built by performance guru CJ Batten had bigger ports and valves which, when extensively modified (trust me, extensively) have the potential to make 500 HP. As far as I know most of these earlier prototypes got scrapped but a few may have survived to turn up at swap meets, etc. The easiest way to recognize these early prototypes at a glance is that they have ROUND exhaust ports (which actually flow a lot less than the better later D-ports) and skinny TALL intake ports, like an FE Ford V8 or LS1 GM. That head would make a much better candidate for an aftermarket performance piece, although due to shrinkage rates it could not be directly traced for an aluminum head. Sorry to rain on everyone's parade but I don't want you to spend cash unwisely.

The head pictured is a nice looking piece - it just falls a little short. But wouldn't it look good in an early vintage sprint car with injectors sticking thru the hood on one side and a big tapered upswept stainless exhaust system on the opposite side?

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #22 by xctasy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 am

Oh dear, xflow300 exhausts are in a totally different side, with none of the casting the same

Sparking plug positions have to differ to get a working casting...

xflow300 intakes are in the same position, but the casting is totally different.

None of the casting is the same as the non cross flow U flow iron 240/300 head. Dang.....