Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

1996 F150 Build

Moderator: Mod Squad

Matt942

1996 F150 Build

Post #1 by Matt942 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Hey what’s up my dudes. It’s bin a while since I’ve posted on this forum. So I’ll just give you a quick update.

I got my cylinder head back from the machine shop, and got the truck running a few months back. I Jerry rigged a few thing but she’s a running now. The only thing were i might’ve screwed up is either, I didn’t put a thicker head gasket, or my block is cracked. I still get a smell of coolant coming from the exhaust. It doesn’t over heat like before, but she rides a little rough. So I’m planning on doing a swap with another inline 6 I have, then go ahead and do a rebuild on the current motor that’s in the truck right now. My thing is though I get a few people that bash my truck bc it’s a “v6”. So with going ahead on doing a rebuild, I want to also add a few more things just to make it a bit quicker, and plain out sound badass. This is my first project truck, and I don’t want to let it go at all what so ever. I still plan on doing a dual exhaust on it, leaving the stock manifolds, and cats still in the truck. I just want some other ideas of doing to my ol girl. There’s a few necks I break when driving this thing to work, or around town, but I want something that’ll send people to the hospital bc of how much they turn to look at my truck. If anyone has any ideas plz lmk. Still thinking about putting a small mild cam, maybe a mega squirt, putting a supercharger or something in that nature. Just need some recommendations or suggestions on what I can do. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions plz let me know. I know it’s a badass bullet proof engine, and should keep it stock. But any suggestion on a build that I can do would be great.

Thanks.

pmuller9

Re: 1996 F150 Build

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Matt942 wrote: So I’m planning on doing a swap with another inline 6 I have, then go ahead and do a rebuild on the current motor that’s in the truck right now.

What year is the other 300 six?

Matt942

Post #3 by Matt942 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Not sure tbh. I bought it off some guy just don’t know the year. I know it’s like early 90’s and isn’t a 96 since it doesn’t have hole for the air tube in the head.

pmuller9

Post #4 by pmuller9 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:15 pm

That could make the swap over less than straight forward. I will let someone else comment on that.

The EFI engines are 8.8 :1 compression and if you install a "small" aftermarket cam the engine becomes more detonation prone.
The stock cam has 268 degrees of advertised duration so the aftermarket cam should have at least that much.

What supercharger would you be looking at if you were to go that direction?

BigBlue94

Post #5 by BigBlue94 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:58 am

pmuller9 wrote:That could make the swap over less than straight forward. I will let someone else comment on that.

The EFI engines are 8.8 :1 compression and if you install a "small" aftermarket cam the engine becomes more detonation prone.
The stock cam has 268 degrees of advertised duration so the aftermarket cam should have at least that much.

What supercharger would you be looking at if you were to go that direction?

Megasquirt and a blower would be the way to go. Use a Eaton blower off a super coupe Thunderbird 3.8v6. Should be an eaton m90 or m112. Cant remember. This will require a custom setup, but can be installed with your current intake.

For "sounding nasty" a big diameter exhaust and high flow components are mandatory. Mine sounds unlike anything else on the street. Long tube headers into a 2.5 into 3" y-pipe, with a collector, through a 3" magnaflow spin metallicat converter, throu a borla XR1 race muffler, and out a single 3" tailpipe with a turndown. This is in an 85 bronco. Schneider 140H cam and 9.75:1 compression.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

Matt942

Post #6 by Matt942 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:39 pm

See when I thought “supercharger” I thought of looking one up, but I guess it’s really hard. Nobody has really done it, and or makes any for this type of truck. I seen put turbos, and I’ve given it slight thought to it, but I’m leaning more towards the supercharger.

What kind of headers are you running ? I’ve heard both pros, and cons of putting in headers, but majority of people say using stock manifolds is the best way to go. Someone at one point also recommended Schneider 131H (13910) Can for my inline 6. But truly I’m A young gun fairly new to all this, & I know just a little about cams. I’m guessing also along with a different Can I’m going to also have to change out the gear and fiber chain to a steal chains as well ?

BigBlue94

Post #7 by BigBlue94 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Matt942 wrote:See when I thought “supercharger” I thought of looking one up, but I guess it’s really hard. Nobody has really done it, and or makes any for this type of truck. I seen put turbos, and I’ve given it slight thought to it, but I’m leaning more towards the supercharger.

What kind of headers are you running ? I’ve heard both pros, and cons of putting in headers, but majority of people say using stock manifolds is the best way to go. Someone at one point also recommended Schneider 131H (13910) Can for my inline 6. But truly I’m A young gun fairly new to all this, & I know just a little about cams. I’m guessing also along with a different Can I’m going to also have to change out the gear and fiber chain to a steal chains as well ?

The Eaton M90 has been put on 5.0 and 5.8 v8s of the same era as your six. It would be a pretty similar swap. The really only hard part is finding/making the inlet/outlet parts for the charger. The super coupe pipes will likely work with some modifications.

Call up "The Blower Shop" and pick their brains. I'd much rather have a supercharger than a turbo. The other option is a procharger. Its essentially a supercharger in a turbo housing. The difference is the procharger is belt driven, not exhaust driven.

Jerry, at Schneider, recommended the 131H to me, but I wanted a little more, so I went with the 140H. Great cam. I already had steel timinggears, so idk if that's required.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

BigBlue94

Post #8 by BigBlue94 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:55 pm

Oh and I'm running Clifford long tube headers. They are great, except at 2mph in 4 low. That's where they start to bake things and over heat the engine. On the street, they have no issues.

pmuller9

Post #9 by pmuller9 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:55 pm

I was the one that suggested the Schneider 131H (13910) Cam but that was for the stock EFI system with no other changes.

The Eaton M90 is too small for the Ford 300 six.
You would need the Eaton M112.

The other consideration is the centrifugal superchargers like the Vortech and the Procharger.
They are easier to install than the Eaton but still require bracket fabrication and a drive pulley addition to the harmonic balancer hub.

The EFI head has shrouded intake valves to create swirl in the combustion chamber and limits airflow.
The chambers need to be modified to get the heads to flow at low valve lifts.
In order to make good horsepower the head should have larger valves installed and port work in the bowl area.

Modified chamber on the right

Are you good with die grinders so you can do your own head work?

Matt942

Post #10 by Matt942 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 pm

So in regards to the grinder I’m somewhat familiar with the but not an expert. Nothing a little YouTube can help out with lol.

I’m running everything with a stock ECM, so that’s why someone suggested that cam. Will a mega squirt help out with all that or do I still need to reflash it ?

Another thing I’m wondering is something about injectors. Some say the stock ones run on 13, 14 lbs, and I was leaning towards what summit suggest which was like a 15, or 19 if I recall right, but I hear that it’ll still run rich, or a little jumpy if I were to go ahead, and do those.

pmuller9

Post #11 by pmuller9 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:21 pm

A MegaSquit allows you to have full control.
You get to program the fuel and ignition timing.
It uses a wide band O2 sensor so it can be run in feedback mode throughout the rpm and load range.

If you change to larger injectors on the stock EFI system it will run rich when the ECM is not in feedback mode when the engine is running under higher rpm and higher load.
Not a problem with an aftermarket system like MegaSquirt

Sevensecondsuv

Post #12 by Sevensecondsuv » Wed May 27, 2020 11:40 pm

If you're going to supercharge it, I would recommend using 34 lb/hr coyote injectors at a minimum. Gotta richen it up under boost. Obviously this will mandate a tunable ECU. There's several options for that, but the main two are megasquirt or do a mass-air conversion using a 5.0 V8 ECU from an 87-93 mustang or 94/95 truck if you have the E4OD and tune it (including adjusting cyl count, crank angle between firing events, etc) using the quarterhorse and EECanalyzer stuff.

I've been contemplating doing up a similar naturally aspirated setup for my 95 F250 and am leaning towards the megasquirt. Stinger performance (no personal interest/involvement) puts megasquirt in an eec-iv box and puts a base tune on it for your application and then you tune it from there. He started in the 2.3 turbo stuff but claims he can handle most all Ford EEC-IV applications. Looks like it'd save some time and fooling around vs plain old megasquirt.

sdiesel

Post #13 by sdiesel » Thu May 28, 2020 2:16 am

For "sounding nasty" a big diameter exhaust and high flow components are mandatory. Mine sounds unlike anything else on the street. Long tube headers into a 2.5 into 3" y-pipe, with a collector, through a 3" magnaflow spin metallicat converter, throu a borla XR1 race muffler, and out a single 3" tailpipe with a turndown. This is in an 85 bronco. Schneider 140H cam and 9.75:1 compression.[/quote]

This is a must- hear engine. Can you , if you do not mind, upload a video to u- tube?
This must be an animal...

With the header and big pipes, is there any backpressure issues like scavenging or reversion?

The lope of a well muffled cam is pleasing to the ear of a fellow who knows what to listen for, but there is little that can stand in the way of a lightly muffled bad- butted engine
Pmuller once sent me a video of a race boat that gave me the same sensation- overwhelming.
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed