Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

1995 EFI 300 Stock Rebuild

Moderator: Mod Squad

tangocharlie

1995 EFI 300 Stock Rebuild

Post #1 by tangocharlie » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:49 pm

Hello All

I’m new to the forum here, but wanted to dive in with what I’m working on right now. This is my first inline rebuild with the last engine I rebuilt being around fifteen years ago.

I recently pulled and disassembled the 300 from my 1995 F-150 E4OD 2WD truck with around 220,000 miles on an all stock drivetrain. I purchased the truck from the original owner almost ten years ago. It does pretty much zero towing and is a second get-around vehicle for me. As far as I know this engine has had nothing besides conventional Pennzoil in it.

Below is a link to a few pictures I took while disassembling the engine. I’d like to get a consensus of what you think of the condition of the engine.

I debated doing some small things to the truck during the rebuild, but decided a completely stock rebuild is just fine with me. Parts on the shelf to go back together with include Melling OE grind cam/lifters set, water pump, balancer, timing set, Melling M74 oil pump/pickup, oil pan, and of course bearings and gaskets.

Ford 300 Photos
Last edited by tangocharlie on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Newcastle, OK
1995 F-150 2WD 4.9L E4OD

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: 1995 EFI 300 Stock Rebuild

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Your engine block looks to still be in very good condition. You didn't say what your budget is for your rebuild but since the condistion of your engine is so good and you use the truck as a secondary vechical, I am going to recommend a lower cost build or freshening up. Don't see the pistons though I am thinking by the blocks condition that your 4.9 might be one of the later 1995 1/2 up versions which has the better Hyperectic Pistons with the Metric ring pack (you will need to identify the engine date code accurately) because a few parts are different from those used in the previous engines). If it's one of the later version 4.9's and everything measures in spec then if you wanted then you could probally do a budget overhaul. Do a deep clean up of block and all its parts, next do a light hone of the bores. Get yourself a re-ring kit which is a inexpensive way to get all of your bearings, rings, gaskets and seals for one low price. This kit takes care of almost everything else you will need to freshen up the short block togeather with those parts you now have i.e. the new cam, lifters, timing set, and oil pump, in addistion the only other parts needed are a set of freeze plugs and an optional can of spray paint to complete the short block. Have your crank Micro Polished if the journals are still in spec it looks very good in the pictures I can see, if it's not have it cut to next undersize. Measure the rods to see if they check out in spec. if not then they should be rebuilt. Install a new set of cam bearings, rings, fresh set of Main and Rod bearings, gaskets and seals to compleate the short block.

Clean the head up good and have it Magnafluxed if it checks out good. Inspect the condistion of all the valves and valve guides to see if they are still useable if not replace them as needed and do a good three angle valve job optional is back cutting the valve but is usally low in cost and worth it. Test the valve springs shim as needEd or replace. Optional you can replace the exhaust valve rotators with intake retainers and taller intake valve springs. Also if you wanted cleanup the valve bowls and ports of any really bad areas of casting flash. Have the head lightly surfaced and reassemble the head with the new valve seals and paint if you want. Install on the short block to compleate the long block assemblely ready to go back into your truck. Best of luck on your rebuild. :thumbup: :nod:
Even a bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

Current project is a 1988 John Deere 420 Garden Tractor I need a few small parts to get it fixed, plus some cosmetic items, maybe a few attachments, if you happen to have or know of JD 420 parts would welcome the help!

My Ex-Inline 6 Fleet 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

tangocharlie

Post #3 by tangocharlie » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:21 pm

I suppose I was leaving some of the smaller details out. I’m a do it right the first time type so I’d like to have the best rebuild I can get outside of getting silly with replacing any and every thing. I‘ve already done that once on a previous car restoration.

The engine will be going to the machine shop to get a deep clean and all dimensions checked and corrected as needed. Freeze plugs are in the pile of parts somewhere as well. They’re going to rebuild the head as well and do the valve job.

I didn’t get a picture of the pistons, but they did look to be in really good shape and of the hypereutectic type. New rings for them will be ordered once I verify the stock bore size is good for the rebuild.

The bearing wear is mainly what stood out to me and what I wanted to get some feedback on.

I’ll be repainting it all with duplicolor new ford gray engine enamel (DE1611).

Anyone have recommendations for getting the intake manifolds cleaned up and free of carbon?
Tyler
Newcastle, OK
1995 F-150 2WD 4.9L E4OD

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:34 pm

You have a good plan, in my OPIN the bearing condistion isn't all that bad for the amount of miles on the engine. This is why I am thinking you maybe can get by with just Micro Polishing the crank throws, of coruse you can't know for sure until your engine shop measures everything. You can also still see the factory cross hatch in the cylinders indicating that the bores are quite nice yet. Best of luck :thumbup: :nod: Edited
Even a bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

Current project is a 1988 John Deere 420 Garden Tractor I need a few small parts to get it fixed, plus some cosmetic items, maybe a few attachments, if you happen to have or know of JD 420 parts would welcome the help!

My Ex-Inline 6 Fleet 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

sdiesel

Post #5 by sdiesel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 pm

What you are after is a " freshen up". A fine engine that will accept any number of modification enhancements for power if you choose assuming a mass air model.

Jobbers service in Portland oregon and many like him across the country provide the complete engine kit at prices that are shocking. Under 100 dollars in some cases. They are called rebuilder kits. Offered mostly to the trade. Brand is generally engine tech, and they are reliable for a stock build.
Allow me to offer you this; reuse any and all ford parts you can including cam but not lifters, the reason is that ford stuff is generally of higher quality and better fit than even the best aftermarket stuff. So if you can reuse- do so. Replace wear parts, gaskets and seals and...happy motoring!!!!
Thxfer joining our " club".
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

tangocharlie

Post #6 by tangocharlie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:13 pm

I added a few pictures of one of the pistons with the rod attached.
Tyler
Newcastle, OK
1995 F-150 2WD 4.9L E4OD

wallen7

Post #7 by wallen7 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:48 pm

I think that I would invest in a new set of pistons.

tangocharlie

Post #8 by tangocharlie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:05 pm

wallen7 wrote:I think that I would invest in a new set of pistons.

I agree after looking more closely at them.
Tyler
Newcastle, OK
1995 F-150 2WD 4.9L E4OD

sdiesel

Post #9 by sdiesel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 am

Try this outfit worked with them In Past years .
I would buy forged cranks back in the day.

https://pistondepot.com/

Those days are long gone but the pricing and selection might suit u. This is a builders " to the trade-only" kinda shop, so no custom or h.p. But you can get hypers with metrics cheaply.
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

tangocharlie

Post #10 by tangocharlie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:15 am

Today I delivered all the parts to the machine shop to have them work their magic. This is the same shop I used for my first rebuild many years ago. It should be back in a few weeks and ready to be assembled. Meanwhile, I added a couple photos of the F-150 in the google photos album linked to in post 1 above for anyone who might be interested in the truck as a whole.

I'm looking forward to having dad over in the shop for a couple weekends to put together another engine. We last rebuilt a 302 for a 88 Mustang I was driving in high school.

sdiesel wrote:Try this outfit worked with them In Past years .
I would buy forged cranks back in the day.

https://pistondepot.com/

Those days are long gone but the pricing and selection might suit u. This is a builders " to the trade-only" kinda shop, so no custom or h.p. But you can get hypers with metrics cheaply.

Thanks for the references. I'm not necessarily after the absolute bottom dollar on the budget so I have put together a lot of the rebuild piece-by-piece. Almost all of the parts were in FedEx boxes enroute to the door by the time I joined the forum here. The machine shop will be ordering the pistons and rings once they determine how much boring the cylinders need.
Tyler
Newcastle, OK
1995 F-150 2WD 4.9L E4OD